sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember they will have babies and love your stream and pond and you need to make a video showing your trains running .If you have that big a pond it will take a couple of years of babies to fill it up .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Remember they will have babies and love your stream and pond and you need to make a video showing your trains running .If you have that big a pond it will take a couple of years of babies to fill it up .
I know that they're having babies I'm not planning on adding more fish but I am worried that the pond is overstocked because I've seen loads and loads of different advice and one calculator just told me that I could only have 28" of fish and that's just over 2 foot long goldfish! That can't be right can it? Another site said 1" of fish per gallon which gives me about 550" of fish which is 46 foot long goldfish which also sounds kind of crazy?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think most it depends on how you filter your pond and how much you feed your fish and do water tests or even add water .Those are like standard opinions of amount of fish .If your water is testing OK and you have plenty of aeration you should be fine in most cases .But being over populated can have effect on the health of your fish .Right now I have 18 fish but 2 are koi 2 ft long in 5000 gallons and I only feed 3 or 4 times a week .I rebuilt my pond last year .There is plenty in the pond to eat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't been feeding to any pattern just when I go out to look for fish I drop a couple of pellets in to see if they'll come up, no luck yet. I can't remember what our filters are. There are about 17 goldfish (not including babies) and 4 grass carp which apparently should never be kept in a garden pond but they're in there now so I can't do much about them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree that your fish load depends on filtration and how much you feed etc. My pond is about 1700 gallons and I used to have at least 35 comet / shubunkin, from spawns, and never had a problem. I re homed them and currently feel maxed at 5 koi.

Thank you for sharing the pictures....what a charming pond and setting :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think they will automatically control their numbers within a fair limit or will they just breed regardless?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They will breed but some will be eaten and if you have frogs or toads they eat there fair share also /

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any experience with bioforce 8000uvc hozelock filters? We have 2 on the pond but only 1 running full time, supposedly good for 8000l

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what the SSA is for http://spares.hozelock.com/product/bioforce-8000-uvc/ this filter media? It says that it will always say but I can't find it. I'm freaking out right now because my mum just went out and bought a koi and I hadn't planned for this and I am now petrified because koi sound like so much hassle and need perfect water and tonnes of space and I just don't understand how anyone has koi because our pond is pretty big and deeper than pretty much any pond I've ever seen but everyone seems to have koi and loads of them so why can they keep them but my pond is too small? I'm trying to do this calculation but I don't know how to calculate SSA and it doesn't explain how it just expects you to do it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what the SSA is for http://spares.hozelock.com/product/bioforce-8000-uvc/ this filter media? It says that it will always say but I can't find it. I'm freaking out right now because my mum just went out and bought a koi and I hadn't planned for this and I am now petrified because koi sound like so much hassle and need perfect water and tonnes of space and I just don't understand how anyone has koi because our pond is pretty big and deeper than pretty much any pond I've ever seen but everyone seems to have koi and loads of them so why can they keep them but my pond is too small? I'm trying to do this calculation but I don't know how to calculate SSA and it doesn't explain how it just expects you to do it?
Considering that you are dealing with three filter pads of differing densities Hozelock would be the only ones that could provide this information. If you have not already contacted them I would suggest that you do so, but you may not get a quick response as they might not know the answer either.

Ask a Question