Garden Pond Bench! Yay or Nae?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, while I was at work today I drew up some ideas for a Pond Side Bench in the Garden for under $50! Let me know what you think, If it looks good, or if it looks trashy, or advice on what YOU would change, I made two drawings to share with people if you would like to make one yourself. I don't have the money to go buy the $150 bench I want, but I want to build one more than buying one.
Here are the Materials from Lowes:
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3070]
Here is the Planned finished layout, Im not sure if I want to paint the Bricks or leave them be, and Im using the 2 holes on top of each cinder block on each side as Planters and the pattern on the Pavers for the seats is just for Ideas as I am an engraver at My dads business and operate 2 Laser Engravers that I will use to engrave an image or design(s) into the concrete so looking for ideas there as well?
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3071]
Thanks, and let me know what you think :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they use them in the garden center at lowes like that for plants and they are not cemented

Reaction score
Yes but no-one sits on them, theoretically. One good lean and that thing will go over. Hopefully the person isn't wearing flip flops at the time. Just sayin'. I would put the grout between the bricks. Filling the center would no doubt be stronger though. Or, set it up and see if in wrong. I might be

Reaction score
Looks cool to me I would however morter them together. I'm planning a a sandstone bench next to the bog. The sandstone was put down in Elyria Ohio in 1850. The chunk is 50 x 18 I'm planning to use 4 x 4 to support the sandstone so it can be moved if needed or if we ever move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thats cool sissy, I wish my local lowes set up things like that, they seem lazy lol.

Diesel Power and nohandles, what about filling the center of the blocks up with sand or rock? Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
If you want to fill the center, what I would suggest is putting a board (like a 4"x4") down through the blocks and the fill around the board with the sand or rocks. Just filling them with sand or rocks will do nothing because there is still nothing keeping them from shifting.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
dieselplower said:
If you want to fill the center, what I would suggest is putting a board (like a 4"x4") down through the blocks and the fill around the board with the sand or rocks. Just filling them with sand or rocks will do nothing because there is still nothing keeping them from shifting.
or a nicely pounded in piece of rebar against the block, maybe even two, one against each edge, then fill

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
There is so much you can do with concrete these days. Just Google decorative concrete. A lot can be done as surface treatments. You could also do faux rocks for the base using dPerry's methods.
I built benches a few decade ago with construction grade lumber and redwood pads for the feet. They have since been painted white. Link

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I like the look, and you are VERY creative with your drawings, Jason. Must be an engineer. :) Looks to me like you have the 2 lower cinder blocks facing a different way than the 3rd one which has the boards through it, and the top one is like the bottom ones. I think because of that, using something to hold the bottom two together, keep them from shifting would be good, but what will keep the top 2 from moving? Maybe that's why they are recommending mortar, too. I like reading about projects like this. And, everyone's ideas give me ideas and pointers, too!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yay, I like the idea, Jason, we use PL roofing cement to glue rumble wall stone together for benches and small retainer walls and for what your doing would hold just fine, Lot cheaper and simpler to do than all that mortar. you'll get your money's worth from a nicelt placed bench and get many hours of enjoyment out of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for all the feed back, Fishin4cars, I will pick some of that up today along with the other materials to join them! Im thinking about putting Fence post end caps on the ends of the 4x4 to dress it up a little but not sure how it will look? Like these:
postcap3.jpg

Reaction score
I think concrete and rocks would be fine plus as another poster meantioned rebar pound it into the ground deep especially if your area is prown to frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
nohandles said:
I think concrete and rocks would be fine plus as another poster meantioned rebar pound it into the ground deep especially if your area is prown to frost.
Thanks no handles, But I don't think I can manage that as the bench will sit on a wood boardwalk around the pond so I can't drive rebar into the ground and I live in Florida, the coldest it gets here is only 34 degrees but sadly today is in the 90's and VERY humid :FIREdevil: !
I went with Liquid Nail instead of Black Jack roof cement, I will post Pictures as soon as Im done.

Ask a Question