Garlic in pond to threat parasites

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Magzire, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Magzire

Magzire

Anyone done this or have any experience?

Magzire, Aug 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Magzire

Lisak1

What's your thought? I know people put garlic in their fish food - koi love it. But I don't know if they use it for parasite treatment... although it works in humans to rid your gut of certain parasites.

Are you thinking of feeding it to the fish or introducing it to the water somehow?

Lisak1, Aug 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Magzire

Faebinder

Like vampires, parasites are not really bothered by garlic. You'd need a lot of garlic to kill parasites.

Lets put it this way.. if it really worked, doctors would be prescribing it for parasitic infections.

Faebinder, Aug 10, 2017
  4. Magzire

Jhn

My experiences with garlic come from the saltwater/reef keeping world. Where it's uses/benefits are anecdotal. I.e. I added garlic to my fish food over a few days and ich disappeared from my fish. Maybe it was because of the garlic maybe not. The active ingredient in garlic is allicin, which does have some antibacterial/ protozoan benefits.

Dosing it in the pond water to me would be a bad idea. One it would be expensive, just to add the amount of garlic extract to the pond water to be effective would be expensive. The idea is you add enough that it coats the fish, and tricks the ich trophonts into not attaching to the fish.

Adding it to the food ....ehhh, there is some evidence that it damages the fishes liver if used long term as a preventive. Not sure how effective it would be to treat parasites, as the fish digest it, how much actually gets into their blood stream and is not just processed out of their body.

I use beta glucan ( can be found at GNC) soaked foods (a few times a week) as an immunostimulant in my saltwater tanks and have done so for a very long time. Has been years, since I lost any fish to illness/disease. Now that being said I don't feed my pond fish anything but pellets etc.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Jhn, Aug 10, 2017
    cas and Magzire like this.
  5. Magzire

Lisak1

Hmmm... I'm not so sure about that. Modern medicine relies heavily on modern pharmaceuticals. There's no money to be made from prescribing a good dose of garlic, so no one does the research, so no one finds if it works, so no one prescribes it. However, that still doesn't mean it doesn't work. Lots of things work that doctors don't prescribe... and lots of things would get better all on their own without doctors getting involved at all. (Not a big fan of a lot of our current medical practices.)

Lisak1, Aug 10, 2017
  6. Magzire

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Garlic is considered to be one of the best probiotics around for strengthening the immune system in all animals and does have some positive effect in treating internal parasites and bacterial issues. I have never seen any documentation on it being used or being effective as an external anti-bacterial, anti-viral or anti-parasitic agent.
    Even if it was, can you imagine the quantity of garlic required for even a small pond?

Meyer Jordan, Aug 10, 2017
    Magzire and lapisazul17 like this.
  7. Magzire

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Add cheese to their diet.it is also proven to be a great probiotic.The darker yellow the cheese the better.

Magzire likes this.
  8. Magzire

Lisak1

I think garlic is considered a prebiotic - it supports the probiotic activity in the gut.

Lisak1, Aug 10, 2017
    DutchMuch and Magzire like this.
  9. Magzire

Magzire

Some interesting points. I did hear it did wonders for ich, better than most medicines. Obviously there is no proof for that.
    I did slice a whole garlic bulb earlier and added to the filter. Definitely can smell it in the water. However I need pounds of garlic to have any effect?
    Something tells me it's a good idea to add garlic, just like adding salt.

Magzire, Aug 10, 2017
  10. Magzire

Magzire

Will try that later today. I'll add it to their skrimp which they go crazy for. Interesting to see if they will still eat it.

Crush the garlic and add water with chopped skrimp for 10 mins? Or just rub it in?

Magzire, Aug 10, 2017
  11. Magzire

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I believe that you are correct. I keep getting the two mixed up.
    Point is garlic bolsters the immune system.

12. Magzire

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

That was a sarcasm, right? I truly hope so..
    If you are going to put garlic and salt in the pond water, why not include celery, onion, and bell pepper. If the fish die just place them in a pot along with the pond water and they are ready to cook.

Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  13. Magzire

Magzire

Die from what?
    If it's good against ich why not add it to prevent it happening in the first place? Since it's natural antibiotic and not harmful.
    Bell peppers, good idea!!

Magzire, Aug 10, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
  14. Magzire

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Fish die from many different causes, like humans and all other animals.

It hss only been proven effective against internal parasites. Ich is external. When treating Ich you are not targeting the attached parasites but rather the unhatched cysts that are floating in the water column. It takes a strong oxidizer to eliminate them.and disrupt the parasites life cycle.
    [​IMG]

15. Magzire

moby

Garlic for Koi, just think what their breath will smell like the following morning....naaaaasty!

moby, Aug 10, 2017
  16. Magzire

Faebinder

Trust me they would extract it, refine it, bottle it, brand it and sell it for $$.

Faebinder, Aug 10, 2017
  17. Magzire

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Garlic extract is available at all health food stores, most drug stores and even Walmart.

sissy likes this.
  18. Magzire

MitchM

19. Magzire

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

While it may be effective against certain external parasites, it would appear impractical and, maybe unsafe, for use in a garden pond due to the required level of application (damage to nitrifying bacteria and other organisms) and the sheer quantity of garlic extract required (cost).

20. Magzire

MitchM

In a pond, I would only use garlic infused food for a period of 2 months and then reassess.
    If a person was able to isolate a fish in a quarantine tank, I would both feed with garlic infused food and add garlic extract to the water in the concentration mentioned in the first paper I posted.

MitchM, Aug 10, 2017
    DutchMuch and Meyer Jordan like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question