Garlic

Reaction score
I've read a few chats on feeding koi garlic. Is this just raw chopped garlic? Do they like that?

Does anyone feed the koi chopped squid or things like that? I thought I read an article on feeding them some seafood items chopped and mixed together. I assume this is more like a treat than an everyday event, otherwise it might be an issue for the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've read a few chats on feeding koi garlic. Is this just raw chopped garlic? Do they like that?

Does anyone feed the koi chopped squid or things like that? I thought I read an article on feeding them some seafood items chopped and mixed together. I assume this is more like a treat than an everyday event, otherwise it might be an issue for the water.

You add the garlic to their food or buy fish food with it already added. You can get the liquid garlic at your grocery store or you can squeeze it yourself and add it to their food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never heard of that one. I do give my guys frozen peas and they like romain lettuce.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
garlic fights off some problems and helps in the spring to start them feeding again .it helps there digestion and ward off diseases .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You can make extract of garlic and soak your food in it Seachems acctually do a liquid garlic you can soak your food pellets in or you can very finely chop carlic and add it to the food that way :)
Personally and far less hassle we buy our wheatgerm already treated by it Priscilla :cool:
We take garlic for health reasons especially to increase blood flow or so I believe , well the garlic permiates the koi making it taste nasty to a parastite so it gives you a level of protectioion for your koi against parasites in the spring when they through having to go through tough winters are at their weakest (y)

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Weird. How the hell does a fish know what garlic tastes like? How the hell does a fish get a hold of garlic?

Much like "Banana scented" bass lures, since when does a bass ever come across a banana floating around?

I think it's all overthunk. Just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It is a little like cats reacting to catnip or so I've been led to believe it must be highly attractive for them I suppose at one stage or other they got the taste for wild garlic and its stuck with them.
But look at the plus sides healthier koi Parasite free koi. garlic promotes the well being of Koi carp and increases its
vitality it has become as a result of its many positive properties and as such is ideal for supplementing the diet of
Koi carp mixed in with or boughtfood either paid for extract as from Seachem or made as an extract by cushing up then extraction the juice from cloves .
Dont be afraid to add stuff to pellets we even coat ours in honey during the summer months , it all goes to help. Propolis is another thing you can add if you want, its a by product of bee hives and is what keeps them health a sort of natural disinfectant .
You can buy it in both spray or liquid form from Health Food Stores, then all you do is soak or spray your pellets.
We even give ours Seachems seaweed extract with extra iodine every now and again, have you ever fed your koi organgesLemons or Limes ( all are good for them and can be given as a treat .
The list is endless :-

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You can make extract of garlic and soak your food in it Seachems acctually do a liquid garlic you can soak your food pellets in or you can very finely chop carlic and add it to the food that way :)
Personally and far less hassle we buy our wheatgerm already treated by it Priscilla :cool:
We take garlic for health reasons especially to increase blood flow or so I believe , well the garlic permiates the koi making it taste nasty to a parastite so it gives you a level of protectioion for your koi against parasites in the spring when they through having to go through tough winters are at their weakest (y)

Dave
Hi Dave,

Can you use the reg. chopped garlic you buy at the supermarket? Would you only gather juice from the container or could you add the chops also? Also what temp would you start these feeding and how often? I have some wheat germ meal with Stabilized Vit. c, could I add some garlic to it and feed at 50-56 deg. every other day?

Thank You

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave,

Can you use the reg. chopped garlic you buy at the supermarket? Would you only gather juice from the container or could you add the chops also? Also what temp would you start these feeding and how often? I have some wheat germ meal with Stabilized Vit. c, could I add some garlic to it and feed at 50-56 deg. every other day?

Thank You

You can put it in the food finely chopped are pureed or just the liquidized extract and you can add it to the food as often as you like we used to do it this way before the feed companies clicked on they could add to foods for koi.;)(y)
I also buy an ornamental fish iodine mixed supliment during the summer and mix it in :)

Dave :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As a snack I feed popcorn shrimp, watermelon, oranges and Napa cabbage.

Ask a Question