gasping for air

Reaction score
I am having so much trouble with my small 170 gallon pond. we are having so much rain and i dont know if that is the cause. i have a lot of debris because of a mulberry tree dropping berries, i dont know why my fish seem to be gasping for air, one gold fish died and i did a 30 gallon water change ,today they seem like they are coming to the top fpr air, i have a pump circulating water, i have alot of plants, i dont know what else to do. im tempted to put more air in there with another pump. can any one help and what is the best way to get debris out. i want to but a pond vac that attaches to garden hose but i dont know if it works?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the debris in your pond could be causing the problem. I just purchased the Muck-vac. I've got a 10'x13' pond and it cleaned up the bottom in less than an hour and does not add the tap water to the pond.

Reaction score
gasping is lack of oxygen in the water. Higher water temp will cause this as will algae bloom that consume oxygen. CO2 increase will also deplete oxygen which can be caused by too many plants in small body of water that release CO2 into the water.

circulating water won't help with oxygen, breaking the waters surface with bubbles or waterfall or fountain head will do the job.

Reaction score
I agree with newday. Sounds like water that is too warm (coupled with that debris, which needs to be removed).

You don't mention any filtration on your pond...do you have any filter? Instead of adding more air, which it seems you already have. Could you get a filter of some kind or build one? See the pond construction area for some ideas.

Reaction score
thanks for your help, i do have a small uv filter, it can only handle a 125 pump so i have my 325 diverted and both are making a small water fall, the pump was clogged while i was at work and i think that is what went wrong, my water fall was not working and it has been frustrating to find a pump that doesnt get clogged befoer the water can get to my filter, any suggestions for removing debri, the laguna vac received bad reviews and I'm wondering about muck vac. i have a wet vac and was tempted to try it this weekend.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a simple skimmer net for pools will scoop and catch alot of debris from the top,and bottom of a pond. cheap and if done regularly it'll keep the amount of settled garbage to a minimum.

Reaction score
they could never eat the amount i have! im not sure of the temp, i added another pump and made it go to waterfall so if my other pump has problems i will m have backup. our weather is unseasonably cool right now. i so skim everyday with a small net but while at work they sink to bottom and disinegrate ane im left with what must be the skin of berrie which is finw white particles, im going to try putting another pre filter on the new pump . things sre ok for the moment anyway.

Reaction score
Even if you dip the fruit out, the juice is still going to be in the water since the mulberry is very delicate.

Stopping the fruit before it gets in the pond during this time of year is something I'd consider.

Ask a Question