Gate valve pumbing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I am planning on a pond 1500-2000 gallons with bottom drain and a skimmer fed to a leaf trap on a exterior pump. Was planning on 3" pipe from both or maybe have 2" from the skimmer. I will have a gate valve on the bottom drain to close off for the winter.
Was wondering if a gate valve would be ok to reduce the flow from 1 pipe to allow more flow from the other if I plumb both intake lines with 3"? Trying not to have to buy 3" ball valve, could reduce both lines to 2" just before they T into the pump with a 2" inlet and valve them there with 2" ball valve.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am planning on a pond 1500-2000 gallons with bottom drain and a skimmer fed to a leaf trap on a exterior pump. Was planning on 3" pipe from both or maybe have 2" from the skimmer. I will have a gate valve on the bottom drain to close off for the winter.
Was wondering if a gate valve would be ok to reduce the flow from 1 pipe to allow more flow from the other if I plumb both intake lines with 3"? Trying not to have to buy 3" ball valve, could reduce both lines to 2" just before they T into the pump with a 2" inlet and valve them there with 2" ball valve.
With only 2000 gallons in your pond / 2000 gph flow for your system I don't see a 3" line would be needed at all. That said you won't need to spend 8 bucks for a 3" ball vale if your pond is only 2000 gallons i'd venture to go as far as to say your skimmer could even step down to a 1 1/2" line . Be careful on the bottom drains many states have enforced that you need to have TWO bottom drains so that no one can get stuck to the bottom each of which have to be on the same line . CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL CODES.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Thanks I will check on the codes. Out here we are very rural and may not have codes for a pond but will look into it.

Ask a Question