Gathering equipment for new pond

Reaction score
new to site, love it so far! I am in the process of deciding on pond equipment. I am trying to decide if I need one or two pumps. So my question is if I go with a pressurized filter does it go in-line from the skimmer to the waterfall or would I be better off putting a pump on the bottom of the pond and have two pumps and adding a second waterfall?

Reaction score
Frankly I'd recommend you stay away from those small consumer pressure filters. They are not very efficient and generally difficult to clean. Oh and over priced for what they do.
They are many homemade pond filter designs out there that work much better, are easier to clean, and of course much cheaper. The important thing to remember is you want to try and keep your biological filtration separate from you mechanical filtration, and you want to have good mechanical filtration ahead of your biological filtration.
Mechanical filtration you want to be able to service and clean quickly and easily.
Ideally you don't want to have to disturb or clean your biological filtration very often, if at all.

Reaction score
I live in Va, about 1500 gallons. Not sure on the fish yet. I have had a reef tank for years and now I want to try something bigger and outside.

Reaction score
so mechanical fiters in the skimmer and the biological in the waterfall unit? One pump in the skimmer?

Reaction score
1500 gallons is not that big of a pond. I would use a combination mechanical and bio filter. No matter what I would only use one pump.

Reaction score
Thank you! One combo filter with one pump. Best place for the pump? in skimmer box or a bottom drain on top of the liner are my options.

Reaction score
I would put it in a skimmer. It hides the pump and the skimmer is a big help in the fall when the leaves start falling. Have you considered making your own filter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Make sure you plan for a bog. You'll be happier long term as you will have cleaner water and less need for water changes.

Get a filter that is much bigger than your pond size.. Same with the pump.

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice, is their a particular brand of filters and pumps you recommend.

Ask a Question