water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is the detailed email I sent

This is what has happened since the purchase of the stove.
We bought it in January
Due to snow delays it arrived in February, it was put into use mid February.
May 9th the stove broke
the repair tech was able to come out that day, parts were ordered
May 18 repair scheduled, 8-5
the repair tech never showed. I called the 800 # x 2 to confirm
I finally reached a person in the evening we were told they called to confirm parts were here and since we did not answer the phone they cancelled the tech. They never called my house phone or my cell phone.
May 20 Tech arrives fixes the stove 8-12 arrival time
May 30 stove broke again
June 8 service scheduled
The tech arrived, sears ge tech, they refused to work on the stove since GE had touched it and it was new
June 13 service scheduled
Tech comes orders parts
June 22 8-5 service scheduled
The tech never arrived I called x 3 to confirm our appointment
I finally reached a person at 530p she said you are still scheduled tech was over booked
I receive an email saying our service was reschedule for June 25 we did not reschedule, we were to be at ocean city
June 24 I contact customer relations
Tell her what is going on Service scheduled for June 26 1-5 arrival time
June 26 we come home early for the appointment, have friends coming over for dinner on Sunday
No show no call, called customer escalation our # is 13620853 Adrienne tells us we cancelled the call in the am of 6/26
We made it very clear that we were driving back from our vacation for this appointment. Why would we cancel it.
At that time we were driving back from ocean city for the repair appointment, did not call, did not cancel.

We order pizza for our friends, explain what is going on with stove
June 29 Call and talk to Adrienne
Service scheduled for July 1, comment made the holiday is backing up the tech

July 1 waiting for service tech appointment 1-5
no show, We call customer escalation are told at 5:45 the tech is still out working and has 4 appointments ahead of us.
After one hour on the phone with Thomas, that was great to work with. He attempted to get someone to come and fix the
nobody would touch it.

We have family coming for dinner tomorrow! Once again we will tell more people the GE saga as to why we do not have a stove to cook on.

July 9 service appointment scheduled 8-12, that was the earliest Thomas was able to schedule us.

Since May 9th we will have been Six weeks without a stove
Since May 9th we have spent eight days waiting for techs to arrive or not arrive.

I would think with all these issues the repair dispatcher would make our call a priority, not another no show.

Next email

• Jul 9 at 1:32 PM
To

• (e-mail address removed)
The service tech arrived, the parts that were sent are wrong. New parts ordered. Service scheduled for next Thursday.
Another week without a stove, this will be 9 weeks since it broke the first time, only 9 days of use in that 9 weeks.
This was a failure again on GE's part.
I want the service managers name and address.

next email

To

Re: Case: 13620853, Model: PHS920SF1SS, Serial No:AF230795

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately I¿m not able to provide the service managers information. We have offered cash inconvience so I wouldn¿t be able to offer any additional cash inconvenience, and we have offered the letter of commitment.

Sincerely,
Adrienne 3742
GE Consumer Relations

They sent 100 bucks for the loss of our stove for 9 weeks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Addy, We know what you're feeling, only in our case it was the fridge. We went through two and are on our third in five years. The electronic stuff in them isn't all it's cracked up to be. Hurray for extended warranties! I'll never be without one with the costs of labor and the amount of faulty equipment out there.
Check in your area for a consumer advocate group, or short of that, contact a local TV station that likes to "investigate" these type of things. If your plight goes out on the airwaves to thousands of consumers, my guess is GE will be more responsive.

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Hi Addy,

As part of my practice, I taught Assertiveness Trainings for over 30 years. Time for an escalated assertion. Go to the Top - in this case GE Corporate. Ask for the CEO. They'll field your call to the head of customer service.

State the fact (no dissertations): I'm calling you because I need your able assistance. On (date) I purchased a new GE (product, serial number)
in good faith. I selected this GE product, both because of the High Customer Satisfaction ratings AND because I've believed your company's motto "We bring Good Things to Life." GE has not lived up to its advertising of Bringing Good Things to Life. This product failed on (date) - Specifically (state failure). I've now been without the means to cook for (amount of time). It's not good for GE. And, it's the opposite of good for me and mine.

State how you feel: I'm skilled in the use of a congection oven. I am disappointed, unhappy and aggravated over this experience with this GE product failure. The shocking failure of a new GE
convection oven has not only hurt and continued to cost me, it continues to adversely impact the people in my life - my family, my guests and my company members. No product should adversely impact a consumer.'s life, Especially, not a new GE product that I paid good money for and. I expect and expected quality. It's failed me in spades,
Despite your product failing
ME, I have been the one who has spent my own time and energy in my good faith attempts to have it repaired. I expected GE to produce
a quality product. Because of the failure of (the GE product and serial # ),
I have't been able to use my kitchen to cook for (x period of time) which is clearly neither in my nor GE's best interest. I've contained to suffer the expense of not only paying for this GE product; it has cost me additional money and work,productivity during all the time
I've spent away from work, waiting for no-show service repairs. MAND, I have incurred additional expenses having to eat and entertain away from my home. None of this is good for GE's reputation
OR for my quality of life and faith in your products.

State what you want: I need your fax number so that I can tender all of this documentation to you. What I want and expect GE to do is to then render a full refund immediately so that I can move forward and buy a convection oven that cooks. In a follow-up fax, I will also tender all expenses I've out layed due to this product failure and will appreciate GE doing the right thing by recompensing me in full.

Thank you. I'll take your fax number now. On my cover sheet, you will see both my fax and telephone numbers. Will you please do me the kindness of letting me know when you have received the first set and then the second?

How would you like to handle product pick up?

(If s/he says to go through the company from which you purchased it: (long pause): The company name and contact # is: ( Xxxxxxxx). My contract comes down to G
E and me. You will receive the paperwork shortly. Again, pls. Contact me when you have it. I leave it to your capable hands to follow through today so that I can move forward.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice I am not a good speaker, but do write good letters. Once battled a lawyer, believe me I am not a lawyer, and won! He finally asked me where I got my training from, told him I had none lol. He said I should be a lawyer. Just get me mad enough and I can type up a storm. Don't do well face to face at all.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I joined the forums @michey1st mentioned above

This is one of the responses, from a "pro" member

Part of the problem may be that GE is no longer GE, but Electrolux. The appliance division was sold, and who knows about the routing of warranty issues now that GE is no longer under the GE umbrella. Sending a letter to the CEO of GE won't do a thing since they don't own the appliance division anymore and there is no clear path yet of heirarchy or responsibility among the Electrolux, Frigidaire, GE names.

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
  1. Great! An opportunity to practice your assertiveness (clear, honest and direct communication). Your writing is eloquent. Write down what you want to say and work from that.

You bought it as a GE product and their name is on it. Still go to the top. It works. Expect to get what you've paid for. Example: I've done this with Acura (the steering mechanism broke). I was making payments on this car I was purchasing from my parents and the extended warranty wasn't honored - Acura patiently nformed that the car was newly out of warranty, I was matter of fact and held strong with the field rep. When it was still a no, I told him, "Is that your final word?.... Sorry to hear that.... Ok. I don't expect steering mechanisms to fail any more than I'd expect a door to fall off. I purchased an Acura because of its high quality and consumer satisfaction. lt'll take me a little while to put on a nice outfit, call the newspaper and TV stations and come down. I'll be the one picketing in front of your dealership in my electric mobility cart. Thank you for speaking w/ me." He called back in less than 30 seconds. I thanked him and later thanked him for even having the dealership wash my car.

Calm, cool, collected Assertive communication works. I use it with my usually intractable health insurance company. I expect others to do the right thing - sometimes they benefit from coaching to do it. Go get 'em Addy. Picture this as a fish (not a pond fish) that will end up landing in your boat. Reel it in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Addy,
I can only hope you get satisfaction, but it's completely frustrating as I know from my own experiences.
In your position I'd be demanding a full refund because the item is clearly not fit for purpose.
Go after them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Update! Per the gardenweb forum appliance section, someone said try twitter (which I have never used) She said she has an issue with Sears tweeted it and got response quickly.

So I signed up for twitter, went to ge appliance tweet area and tweeted, my disappointment in the product, breaking twice , being fixed once the delays etc. Sent out around 10, quickly, since they are limited to 120 characters that goes fast. Got response within one minute. Asked to email to their eresponse team, now waiting to see what they say today.................. Social Media does have power.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not holding breath, but at least got their attention!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've heard of this approach working before, so I think you may be on the right track. Social media is everything these days.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Shame addy because GE is a good product .I bought a ge fridge a couple of years ago when i bought my new range and the ice maker broke and they sent someone out in 3 days and replaced it .Shame that customer care is dieing

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I always thought well of GE, the stove is rated very highly, the service has totally sucked. Yep it is a shame

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It seems you are not the only one with a problem with that model. I checked out the reviews that looked great until I did a reverse search from the worst reviews. Looks like there are a few lemons out there. Hopefully you will get some good service now as you have gotten their attention. I have learned from past mistakes to check reviews, good and bad. Still ticked off that my stackable Samsung washer and dryer require a ladder to set dryer controls!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That was the main reason I did not want stackable I am only 5 ft 2 inch's tall .I don't under stand why the top unit cannot have controls on the bottom of that unit .Even if it costs more not all women are 6 ft tall .I have room in my laundry room so really no need for stacked units ,it sure would be nice if the companies would listen to there customers .I have ge duet with the drawers under them but shame they do not make the drawers just a little taller or laundry soap companies did not make there bigger bottles shorter and wider so they would fit .Little bottles are a pain to buy, because you always have to buy 2 or 3

Ask a Question