gel like algae - blanketweed

Reaction score
I have got gel like green globules of algae / blanketweed in my pond for the past 2 years since I have been using the "exterminater" which has worked o.k. What are these and how do I get rid of them, they have been increasing even over the winter, I have to net them to remove, can anyone help?? :lol:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never saw algae like that is there any way you could post a pic

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you post photos, that will help. This time of the year, my duckweed and string algae both take off. The algae that gets caught up in the duckweed appears to be what you are describing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
smileywelcome687.gif

Welcome to the group metal mickey, somebody here will know how to help you. We all have ideas, not always great, but ideas lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think he went nighty night like he said

I have a question I noticed my neighbor in one of his fields he is growing barley .I can go across my yard through the woods over his fence to the field .Is it the same barley .I just talked to him today and he said if it is I can have whatever I want .I always save him from being fined when his cows come to my yard I usually go over to his house and let him know

Reaction score
View attachment 4622

View attachment 4623

View attachment 4624[
These are the gel like algae, they have grown even though the the temperature was down to -17c (air temp) and 2ft of snow, they are on the bottom of the pond then rise and float when the temp increases even now when the air temp is around 0. The ponds are approx 3ft deep one is at ground level - 3ft deep and the top pond is about 1 - 1.5ft below ground see photo View attachment 4622 The pond is South facing.
The Exterminator I spoke about is the Electro-mineralization process and works o.k. with string type blanketweed. (www.thexterminator.com) but has no effect with this type of algae / blanketweed. I have a UV light and this does not have any effect either.
I would appreciate any advice as to how I could remove / control the problem.

Fish = Koi and grass carp in the top pond, goldfish, grass carp, tench (green & golden) in the bottom

Attachments

• ME5JPG.jpg
    ME5JPG.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 546
  • gel 1.jpg
    gel 1.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 658
  • gel 3.jpg
    gel 3.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 637

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh it looks like jello I have never seen algae like that .It keeps coming back .Well if it's coming from the bottom to me it would seem you would need to tackle it from the bottom .What is in the bottom of your pond .I 'm thinking maybe one of the moderators may know what this is .At least posting the good pics may help them help you .By the way nice pond and is it in the sun all day .My pond gets a lot of sun but I don't have this stuff .Total bottom cleaning may be your only option .Unless they come up with something better .You had this before you bought the exterminator .I read the article on it and there are ones similer to that here and are very expensive

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
seems to me reading all the stuff on this that it is only good on blanket weed and has to be used for a certain amount of days then removed and must be cleaned well and is for 1 season use then parts must be replaced .I saw to about metals and certain plants in your pond and about snails and mollusk being harmed or influenced by the use of it .I think maybe you should think about going back to more natural ways to get rid of algae and blanket weed .There are a lot of good ways here .I think I would get my money back on it show them what you are dealing with and ask them what they think is going on .It is there product and if you are not satisfiedyou should let them know . The pdf file on this is interesting but not sure I would use it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it says you should do total pond clean out to be more effective and it says about ph and soft water or hard water can effect it too and it needs more oxygen .I mean it seems all this is doing is giving off levels of copper into the water .When you do clean out add more oxygen and get your ph right why would you need this .Decaying matter on the bottom may be your problem .The anode rod needs replaced yearly at what cost .

Reaction score
don't think so the exterminator is only put in for approx 21 days this lasts for about three months then you have to put it back for about 10 days, the summer is over and the blanket weed dies off due to water temp, I will email the company again to see if they know, but uptodate they have not replied to any of my emails.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hmmm see that would set off an alarm when they do not respond to your questions and concerns about a product that I'm sure you spent good money on .

Ask a Question