Gemma's pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is irregularly shaped and wider then 8'.......I'd have to connect some panels.
Perhaps you could lay something for support and then crisscross the panels? I mean sort of like what I do to open the hole for winter only to cover instead of uncover

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice looking pond @Gemma!!
Thank you so much!
I wish I'd have found this Forum years ago and learned just how much room a few koi really need instead I had to learn the hard way ... I resized that pond 3 times and now that I've ran out of room I will have to put in another one in the back...digging will start as soon as the ground permits
It's all good!:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you so much!
I wish I'd have found this Forum years ago and learned just how much room a few koi really need instead I had to learn the hard way ... I resized that pond 3 times and now that I've ran out of room I will have to put in another one in the back...digging will start as soon as the ground permits
It's all good!:)

How many koi do you have in there? They all look so large and healthy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks!
I have 10 koi and 2 shubunkins that are often mistaken for koi due to their large size
The koi in my avatar and the orange Matsuba are 6yrs old (will be 7yrs Fall) the rest of them are 2yrs old
koi4.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Your foresight and eye for beauty paid off. Truly a gem of a pond Gemma!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your foresight and eye for beauty paid off. Truly a gem of a pond Gemma!
Thank you for the nice words!
I actually liked my pond better when it was smaller and I had more room for landscape around it, also the shelves allowed for plants and now they're gone, but the fish grew and we needed a bigger home for them :) so...
Here's a pic of what it used to look like before we made it larger
shelbypond.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love the small yellow with the long fins
It looks yellow, but it's actually orange..... it's a butterfly Gin Rin Orenji Ogon and I don't even know if I still have it, it went missing a couple of weeks ago
smsad.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's June 7th and the plants are just starting to pick up.
I'm happy that I was able to save a baby Umbrella Palm from last year's plant, and to have learned that I can put Sun Inpatients in the pond....also I'm trying out those 2 Hyacinth in the waterfall, I really hope they can stay there and cover some of the ugly box
I wish it was easier to get good shots of the fish.
pondjune-7-18.jpg

pond-june-7-18b.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's one good thing about having the net off the ground several feet, you can still get under it or through the holes to get some good shots. For you to do that you would have to build it up on posts to support the weight of that metal mesh. Or how about an underwater camera like some have on here, those are cool and you can see the fish really well and no work involved!

pond-cover-small1.jpg

This guy built a collapsible net below:
iu

Here is his you tube vid below:

This one if it had a flap in it or door to get in to maintain or take photos is kind of interesting:
atlantic_pond_protector_net_kit_scenic_1000.jpg

Someone on our forum made this one: @randythawkins
IMG_4030.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's actually not the mesh that prevents me from taking good shots, it's mostly the fast moving water/fish, and yes the equipment I use. :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Does anyone have an underwater cam that they use and could recommend? I constantly struggle with getting good pictures of my fish because of the reflection on the water from the sun/sky.

Ask a Question