General questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just a quick background. New house for us. Pond has been off and not maintained for at least two years. Drained and cleaned 2 days ago. (gross GROSS gross!)

Filled up with well water. Was completely green within two hours. Added this stuff, per directions, that was left by the previous owner.
IMG_20160830_192758188.jpg

It was grey in 24 hours, so I knew the algae was dying, and it was up to the filters now. Today it's completely clear, and the pH level is 8.02. Yup, I'm completely sure on that reading. ;)

IMG_20160830_192149653.jpg

I know I have to get some more test kits, but there's no fish yet. Just the frogs that came back after the muck change to water.

Is there anywhere around here that tells me what "normal" readings should be?

Never owned a pond before, so I'm just learning as I go.

Thanks for any insights or direction!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you get your test kit, it will have a chart with values -- you'll compare your results to the results card. The instructions will explain what the results mean. Once your pond is cycled, you should have negative ammonia & nitrites; possibly negative nitrates, but some nitrates are OK. During the cycling process you will see all of these levels rise, then go down.

Most of us use the API Freshwater Master Test kit, and test for ammonia, pH (which you already have covered), nitrites, and nitrates. You can buy add-on kits for KH and GH.

I tried to include pics, but my iPad decided it had different plans at the moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks! Kit and add on will be here Friday. I know ya can't do much if you don't have readings!

So I guess I'll go look at goldfish. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing goldfish are cheaper than koi. Should probably start off cheap...

Is a pH of 8ish good for a pond? I know it varies, so I'm not going to chase it much if it's ok.

Reaction score
Koi will grow very fast and and gold fish not so fast. A 3" koi will be well over a foot long in two years. Basic koi are only a few dollars so don't let the money be the deciding factor. The more fish you add the more work and problems you pond will be. Yes the pond may support 15 or more fish but start out with just a few and see how you like look. As far as the Algaefix I wouldn't be adding a lot of chemicals to the pond. If you want to get rid of the algae then get a UV light. As far as the testing kits. Send them back and use the money to buy some plants. Testing will drive you nuts and in the end the pond will not be any better. The testing kits will be used a few times and then put on the shelf. If you doubt what I am saying keep this replay and read it in two years.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Koi will grow very fast and and gold fish not so fast. A 3" koi will be well over a foot long in two years. Basic koi are only a few dollars so don't let the money be the deciding factor. The more fish you add the more work and problems you pond will be. Yes the pond may support 15 or more fish but start out with just a few and see how you like look. As far as the Algaefix I wouldn't be adding a lot of chemicals to the pond. If you want to get rid of the algae then get a UV light. As far as the testing kits. Send them back and use the money to buy some plants. Testing will drive you nuts and in the end the pond will not be any better. The testing kits will be used a few times and then put on the shelf. If you doubt what I am saying keep this replay and read it in two years.
While I don't test as often as I did when the pond was new, I would still recommend having the testing materials and learning how to be comfortable using them. Sometimes an issue might arise, and the first thing to ask is "what are the water parameters?" In most cases, once the pond has cycled and is pretty much stable, things can still get out of whack for one reason or another. Plus, I think it's important for a pond owner to understand the relationship between the chemical and physical properties. And yes, in the beginning, as @mgmine said, testing was an obsession for me :nailbiting::bookworm::sour:, LOL! But I learned from it, and as I said, I rarely check any more, unless an issue comes up. But I also have a fairly under-stocked, over-filtered pond. Goldfish reproduce, and koi grow...... Your stable pond THIS year could easily be an ammonia trap NEXT year!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
to stabilize ph crushed oyster shells work from tractor supply or any farm store .Do not add to much of that stuff before you get fish and after you get them go for a safer stuff like liquid barley

Ask a Question