General Questions

Reaction score
What I have: 270 gallon - 7' x 3' x 1' deep. No fish, no plants. It's just for sounds & looks. 700gph Pondmaster pump feeds 3 tubes that trickle over stone wall. I plan to buy a Pondmaster 1000 garden filter, because the prefilter that came with the pump has deteriorated. So all I'll have is the filter, and the pump, serving 3 tubes. Thoughts on the Pondmaster 1000 filter?

Problem: Pond is in full hot sun in Tennessee and in a short time the water turns pea-green. Someone said that I could just use bleach to kill algae since I have no plants or fish. And continue bleaching periodically. Don't know if that will work or if there's a better solution. I read that regular use of an algaecide would just work temporarily. Any thoughts or ideas????:lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With no fish hydrogen peroxide works well to kill algae, (works with fish too, but have to be careful)

1 liter to 1000 gallons if you have fish. Give it a try, not that expensive.

The other thing you could do is just throw a pool tab in let it dissolve.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
9 watt UV light would do the same thing and no chemicals. As for a filter, Probably a waste of money, It's just not going to function correctly in this type environment. there are chemical additives that are made strictly for this purpose that can be found at Pond stores and Pool supply businesses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Shadowfax said:
What I have: 270 gallon - 7' x 3' x 1' deep. No fish, no plants. It's just for sounds & looks. 700gph Pondmaster pump feeds 3 tubes that trickle over stone wall. I plan to buy a Pondmaster 1000 garden filter, because the prefilter that came with the pump has deteriorated. So all I'll have is the filter, and the pump, serving 3 tubes. Thoughts on the Pondmaster 1000 filter?

Problem: Pond is in full hot sun in Tennessee and in a short time the water turns pea-green. Someone said that I could just use bleach to kill algae since I have no plants or fish. And continue bleaching periodically. Don't know if that will work or if there's a better solution. I read that regular use of an algaecide would just work temporarily. Any thoughts or ideas????:confused:

Before you add chemicals, make sure you've figured out the number of gallons correctly. I calculated a 7x3x1 pond to only be 150 gallons, not 270. :confused:

EDIT: I guess it wouldn't matter so much since you don't have plants or fish, but still...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Some folks want a water feature with little or no effort. I personally would add some decorative goldies and plants with a bio filter. It will look 1000% better.

Ask a Question