Georgia pond

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
So, I'm a total newbie to ponds, but I have recently built this pond. It is 7-8 by 15 by 4 feet(deep) in main pond. It has 2 floor drains and a Hayward swimming pool pump that moves the water to a 7 by 7 by 2 feet(deep) pond for plants and a 35 foot stream bed back to lower pond. I made my own filter box which may be too small (2x2x2) It has three filter pads, and crushed coral(for ph?) I have recently added 3 mini cattails, 5 water hyacinths, 1 water lettuce with babies, celery(red and green) and 10 parrots feather. ( I hope they grow) Here are some pics of the progress and where I am now. Still have lots of planting, hiding, and decorating to do, but water has been running for about 3 weeks.

Sorry, I can't seem to remove my first picture, but he is a cool little fish. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Holy mackerel Amy, that looks great! That's what my lil pond hopes to be when it grows up. Your stream looks like it has a nice flow to it. Did you do all the digging by yourself? Simply wonderfall!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey Amy that is looking fine and it's a big project but will be so rewarding when you are finished. If you want you can add a little short shelf a few inches deep around the edge of your pond if you have just enough liner to do so. That way when water is added it will cover that lower ledge w/ rocks put on it and then rocks up around the top edge too and will hide your liner. Something like this:
IMG_6050.JPG

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks, I was hoping peeps would notice the shirt, I thought it hilarious. It has been lots of work. I will admit that after digging for 2 weeks, in northeast Georgia red clay, I hired someone with a back hoe to come and finish the digging.
I had tadpoles in the upper pond (full due to rain) long before I finished the liners/plumbing. I haven't even done any test on the water yet, but have been throwing fish food in there on a regular basis to kick start the cycle. Also, the water gets plenty green towards the end of each week and gets clear and pretty again with a water change. I have well water. I will do some tests this weekend.

I have been learning from a local koi guy. He recommends a UV sterilizer, but the only one he recommends is like $500. Wondering how many here use one and what they use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The one thing that I can speak of from experience is what I call Sissy's quilt batting fitler (She doesn't take credit for it, but I found out about it from her post, since then to me it's Sissy's filter lol) But if you search quilt batting here you will find several post about it. My water had gone almost pea green, and using this system it went clear in about a week and a half and has remained so.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Amy you are too funny!! ha ha ha, no one would ever suspect that under the pond is where the bodies are hiding!

I have never used a UV light. I think they are too expensive and it can be done without one. You may go threw the pea green water stage, but if you winter your pond and get a good number of sedges growing, that will sure help clean the water nice. Sissy never used a UV light either and her method does work as well.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The t-shirt is classic as is the mischievous look on your face while holding the shovel. I love it. Your pond and stream are amazing. Now I'm wondering what you'll do for your second pond dig? :LOL: And I agree with mad hatter, all the reading I've done says the UV light will work but you have to replace it yearly instead of building some natural filters like Sissy's filter and using plants and your stream will also filter. My pond was filled the first of last month and is still green but I am just now starting to put plants and getting ready to get my bog up and running so I'd be patient and see if you can do some easier and less expensive filters to get clear water.
Good luck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Great job but shame that propane tank is there but you are hiding it .You can grow grasses or elephant ears or banana plants to hide it more .I started cold hardy bananas and now have 18 baby banana plants and they 2 original plants are now 5 feet tall .I read they are heavy feeders and started giving them the jobes plant spikes and the took off .The grasses are thanks to Colleen's idea how well grasses clean the water and they sure do work .I use a uv in my stock tanks but going to put a crate in there with a grass also .I love banana plants as much as my elephant ears .The digging is the worst in clay soil but at least it keeps it's shape .I love your stream and loriopi and hostas would look great there .

Attachments

• pond and house 003.JPG
    pond and house 003.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 210
  • pond and house 013.JPG
    pond and house 013.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 221
  • pond and house 011.JPG
    pond and house 011.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 248

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you want a uv look on ebay they are cheaper and uv is a uv no matter what brand it just goes on watts .topdog on ebay and ccl pet suppllies have them and the bulbs are much cheaper .your size a 36 watt should do you but you will need another pump just dedicated to the uv as you don't want the water going through it to fast and the pool pump would be to much unless you split it off and slowed it down .I would go with a submerged cheap pump that uses less wattage ,this way it is dedicated just to the uv

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is all the way to the ground and they love it .It is just 2 retaining wall block high but the soil is well amended with compost and top soil and my lotus pond is in the middle which is 2 ft deep.I built a dirt berm so I could mow close and so only 1 row of block shows

Attachments

• pond flag 014.JPG
    pond flag 014.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 239

Ask a Question