Get your skippy filter Pads here

Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass this on. I know a lot of you guys go to the dollar store to get your scrubbies for your filters. I never bought them at the dollar store so I wanted to make sure first...

BUT...it's cheaper at sams club.

Sams:You get 20 large size for 6.88
Dollar store: You get 5 small ones for 1.00

You would need 40 total from the dollar store to make up the same from Sams. That means you would need 8 pkgs. Plus the dollar store ones don't seem as sturdy.

You can see the difference in size in these pics...:icon_mrgreen:

Just thought I'd pass the knowledge.

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I just sent my check to skippy stuff for 3 cases 91.97 thats with shipping..
2 cases will fill my 55 gal drum . The skippy pads are about 1" thick

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have 50 packs from the dollar store for my 70 gal skippy... so 7 packs would do nicely, its like buying seven and getting one free of the dollar store ones. but you have to have a membership too.

Reaction score
I didn't even think about checking out Costco first! I'm not a member of Sam's and I think they all closed down in Canada (for sure in Ontario).

At any rate, my dollar store scrubbies looks like it's doing its job. I introduced 17 koi into 1700G of water before I hooked up filter. They ate like pigs in the first 24 hrs. Water went cloudy and a hint of smell. Fired up the filter system and water cleared up and smell is gone in 24 hrs. Interesting... At this rate, should be crystal clear in a few more days.

BTW, took 120 bags of dollar store scrubbies (12 in a bag 4x5.5x1/2") to fill two 55G barrels.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if costco has them I'm pretty sure I looked. I have memberships at both.

I'm not sure how many you'd need for a 50gal filter. But I cut mine some in 1/4ths and some in 1/8ths. I am also putting 4 liters of pond marix from seachem. I use a smaller version of the matrix in my aquariums and I love it.

Reaction score
ebay sells rolls or custom cut pieces of actual 1 or 2 in think pond filter media/mats, im sure the quality is a lot better and the price too. dont people smoke crack out of those scotch brite pads. haha.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i got some(40) of the pads at SAMS CLUB they are a finer mesh, and a little firmer... good for the finishing pads(top layer) the dollar store ones are better for the middle and a layer of the round balled ones to start out the layers(bottom..they wont clog up as quick)

Reaction score
Well I went to restaurant depot on got a box of the green type 96 pads which is 6 bags of 10 (60) pads for like $30. I also got a box of thicker 86cc for like $35 for 60. So Sams would be 3 x $6.88 x 1.1 (non member 10% charge) = $24. So it would have been cheaper, so I may get some more from them. I went to all different stores and could not find the scouring balls as most places don’t sell them anymore. I found 9 packs of 3 for $1.09each (butler brand). I am going to order 48 more online for $44.98 shipped from here:
http://www.restockit.com/SOS-Tuffy-N...P-SELLER!.html
USE GP9BT for 10% off.

Sams membership pass
http://www2.samsclub.com/smallbusine...membership.pdf

I also got like 8-10 cut to size heater filter that seems to be good to go on top of the balls. They are fairly open but all plastic so should be good. Xpect discounts is the only place that had the balls. They also had the best deal at 15 small scrubbies for $1. All in all I spent way more on media than I wanted, but oh well.

Attachments

• 3m.jpg
    3m.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 310

Ask a Question