Gettin' Weird About a Pond Pump

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I woke up this morning, and is my normal routine I made my coffee and gazed out the window to the back yard to see that my fountain was not running. I went to check and after a little diagnosis I determined the pump had bitten the dust. Unexpectedly, I had a feeling of sadness as I looked at the little pump in my hand because of memories the pump triggered.

pump.PNG

In 2010 Nashville suffered some of the worst flooding in history; 15 inches of rain in 48 hours. My house had a dug-out crawl space which promptly flooded, and I without a lot of money, found this 300gph pump at Lowes for about $25. Since this was before my ponding days, I had no idea if it would work. Sure enough, in about a day after throwing it in an estimated 6000-8000 gallons of water was out of my crawl space. Every summer when I put out the pool for my boy to play in, I would use the pump on a (home made) fountain to keep the mosquitoes down. No matter how many times I told him to leave it alone he just couldn't help himself wanting to play with it. Then there was the colossal failure of the stand-alone waterfall I tried to create out of construction debris from home building around the neighborhood. And finally this past year during the early stages of my inherited pond re-hab I used it to move water into, out of, and around the pond before it got it's last use for the koi fountain.

Goodbye little pump... :(

Ok, enough of that, It's in the garbage and I ordered another off Amazon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
I woke up this morning, and is my normal routine I made my coffee and gazed out the window to the back yard to see that my fountain was not running. I went to check and after a little diagnosis I determined the pump had bitten the dust. Unexpectedly, I had a feeling of sadness as I looked at the little pump in my hand because of memories the pump triggered.

View attachment 126123

In 2010 Nashville suffered some of the worst flooding in history; 15 inches of rain in 48 hours. My house had a dug-out crawl space which promptly flooded, and I without a lot of money, found this 300gph pump at Lowes for about $25. Since this was before my ponding days, I had no idea if it would work. Sure enough, in about a day after throwing it in an estimated 6000-8000 gallons of water was out of my crawl space. Every summer when I put out the pool for my boy to play in, I would use the pump on a (home made) fountain to keep the mosquitoes down. No matter how many times I told him to leave it alone he just couldn't help himself wanting to play with it. Then there was the colossal failure of the stand-alone waterfall I tried to create out of construction debris from home building around the neighborhood. And finally this past year during the early stages of my inherited pond re-hab I used it to move water into, out of, and around the pond before it got it's last use for the koi fountain.

Goodbye little pump... :(

Ok, enough of that, It's in the garbage and I ordered another off Amazon.
RIP little pump

Ask a Question