Getting closer....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Been working on the pond all weekend. We've got a lot done!! So I thought I would post a couple pictures to show ya'all how it's looking so far! Any suggestions for the waterfall area would be great, as you can see it's not done and I'm having a hard time getting all the puzzles pieces to fit the way I'd like them to, and get water to run over the top of them. Also need to get more rocks to finish going around the pond and bog. And if you can picture it, dark brown mulch all around everything outside of the rock border.

Addy1 (or anybody), how long do you think it will take the bog to start clearing up the water? There wasn't a really practical way to clean all that pea gravel and it was really dirty. I have 4 day lilies that will go in the bog as soon as I get everything else done, but the rest of the plants will have to wait until next weekend before I can get them.

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 401
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 418

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That fine dirt will settle, or stick some quilt batting in a laundry basket below the falls and run the water through it. The first summer mine was horrible, no fish, we were still building it. Constant dirt falling into the pond, it was a mess, we only had around 120 gph flowing though the bog, just to have some water movement. The second year I got impatient and build a skippy type filter with just fine filter material to remove the fine dirt, three days and it was clear. (around 10-11k gallons)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, it seems to be improving. I can see the top of my pump now which is probably 4-5 inches from the bottom. More pictures to come when I get it finished.....

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Jen it is really looking good. The dirt in pea gravel in our bog was awful, but Addy's tip on the quilt batting worked awesome. I had a old comforter and took the top and bottom fabric off and shoved it in a milk crate and put under the bog. It was amazing how quickly it cleared up after we did that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips. After just letting it run for a couple of days that water cleared up really nice. But a lot of that dirt settled on the bottom, which I'm not crazy about. I liked it better when I could see the different colors in the rocks, not just all dirt colored. We finally have the waterfall done and today I am going to go out and drain some water and flush out some of that dirt. I know it won't stay looking all pretty and clean, but I'm gonna do it anyway :)

A friend is dropping off a trailer for us to load all the extra dirt on to get rid of and hopefully I can finish the rocks tonight or tomorrow too! I'm so excited, I think we really are in the homestretch now! Also going to go tomorrow to get some plants for the bog. Hopefully this mornings frost is the last one we are going to get! And by tomorrow evening this baby will be done!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WOW !! Hey Jen, was it expensive to fill your pond with cappucino?....lol, just kiddin' ... lets see some pics when the waters clear...looks like its gonna be nice!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ugh! Friend was a no show with the trailer, hopefully he brings it soon so we can get all this dirt out of here. Going to get some plants tomorrow for the bog, and finished the rocks and bog today. Anyway, all that is left is to get rid of the dirt, get all the mulch we need and get my skimmer installed (don't have it yet, long story). The mulch will be everywhere there isn't rock at this point. Here are a few updated pictures. The view from the back ended up kind of looking like a heart. We didn't plan it like that on purpose but think it's pretty cool anyway so had to include a picture of that too..... What do you think?

Attachments

• WP_001106.jpg
    WP_001106.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 400
  • WP_001109.jpg
    WP_001109.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 436
  • WP_001110.jpg
    WP_001110.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 377
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
LOL Koiguy! Now that would be a dream pond right there.....I could use a cappuccino pond chasing 3 yo twin boys around all day!! As you can see the water looks much better now, and I'm hoping it will continue to improve. Hoping tomorrow I can put my fish back in!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think it looks really nice! You have that waterfall flowing perfectly!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Jen it looks wonderful. I love the waterfall and your pond and bog shape looks great.

Reaction score
That is looking really nice. How to you have it plumbed? Do you have pics of how the water flows from pump to bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! Nova, I don't have any pics of the plumbing, but I've attached a pic with lines drawn to kind of show what I did. I have a Beckett 3500 gph solids handling pump connected to 1.25" sump pump tubing, this is the red line in the picture. It goes over the edge of the pond right now, because I don't have a skimmer yet and it's still up in the air what kind I'll be getting (again, long story). Then it is burried in the ground and connects to a bulkhead fitting on the bottom of the side wall of the bog. On the otherside of the bulkhead I have attached regular 2" pvc pipe with slots cut through the bottom every 1.5" The slots are facing down, it then connects to an elbow and another vertical pvc pipe with no holes in it to use as a cleanout. The cap of that pipe is the white circle you see at the top of the gravel in the picture. The pvc pipe is the green line. I attached the bulkhead directly to my liner. But I used seam tape to reinforce the liner. Well at least they called it seam tape at the garden store. It looked to me like really thick liner material with an adhesive backing on only one side. Would be great for patching holes in liners. Hope that explanation makes sense!

When I went out this morning my water was crystal clear!! I am SO excited!! I will post some more pics later when I get back and get the kids back in there. I'm off to get some plants (and maybe a baby koi or 2) ;)

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 297

Ask a Question