Getting closer....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I tried planting calla lily bulbs in a pot in my bog, and so far no sprouts. They looked like they were sprouting last time I checked but so far nothing has come up above the ground. I think calla lilies typically bloom a short time, but not positive. Others who have them will know for sure. I just wanted something different in the bog.
Your plants look really great, water is so nice and clear, can see the bottom and how you have your lilies planted in the rocks, and if that algae on the waterfall is what is bothering you, shut off your bog, and then after the water is done draining over the edge, spray it with peroxide and water solution (I can't remember, maybe 1/3 peroxide? ... Sissy will chime in here on this) and that will kill the algae. Then after a bit, maybe an hour or so, you can turn the water back on. The stuff is really potent against algae, just don't pour it into your pond like I did. I really suspect that is what made my pond so murky. Maybe not, but I don't want anyone else to have cloudy murky water for 2 months because of trying to get rid of algae really fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was trying to decide if I should by the potted ones at Lowe's they're sooo pretty! I'm gonna wait though, no more impulse shopping! Thanks for the advise for the algae on my falls. It is kind of driving me crazy! I tried to brush some of it off yesterday, but it is stuck on there good! I will try it out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
any one here ever try sweetpea the vining flower by the pond on a trellis and is it dangerous to fish ,I have a metal frame over my waterfall and thinking about them for there .Also nasturtiums by there ponds as I know the flowers are great in salads

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ce I just checked about you saying murky water when you added peroxide to your pond and found that can happen because of a combo of kitty litter and peroxide .It cleans the kitty litter which can cause the murky water .I did a test to see what happens and added pond plant that was planted in kitty litter and pump going,water got murky but did not harm the plant .I stood there and watched the cloud form around the plant after adding the peroxide and figured it must be cleaning the kitty litter .I then left the pump clear the pond back up with quilt batting and tried it again but I planted the plant in crushed oyster shells and pea gravel and got a smaller cloud which cleared up in an hour and water was crystal clear and no harm to the plant .I think all the cloud does is clarify the water.I did it in my 150 gallon stock tank .Lots of taddies in it and it did not harm them either

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you Colleen, I hope it all turns out the way I'm imagining. I've never done any gardening before, water or land, and don't have ideal conditions either. Hard clay soil sucks to work with. But my goal is for this to grow into an english cottage type perenial garden. There are still a few more plants that I want to add to the landscaping eventually, like rose bushes and another weigela. But I am going to try to hold off until next year to add anymore, that way I can see how they all grow, how big they get, what dies, and where to add new plants, etc. I do have a tiger lily out front that will be going back there too after it's done flowering. It has tons of buds on it now, and I don't want to lose the flowers by transplanting. That tiger lily was given to me last year as a tiny plant and looked dead all year last year after I planted it, this year it is HUGE! The flower buds come almost up to my chest and it is really nice and full. Soooo, who knows what this garden will look like come next spring.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I got hard clay too. Some plants grow best in our type of soil. My friend has too much sand, then her rocks start sink after lots of rain. Lots of my plants were given to me by a friend who divides her stuff every fall. I also look for bargains in fall. :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I tried planting calla lily bulbs in a pot in my bog, and so far no sprouts. They looked like they were sprouting last time I checked but so far nothing has come up above the ground. I think calla lilies typically bloom a short time, but not positive. Others who have them will know for sure. I just wanted something different in the bog.
I got some calla liily bulbs from Lowes for $1 and put them in the bog. So far they are living, but no new flowers. I did plant them so the crown of the plant is above the water, so only the roots are in the water.

any one here ever try sweetpea the vining flower by the pond on a trellis and is it dangerous to fish ,I have a metal frame over my waterfall and thinking about them for there .Also nasturtiums by there ponds as I know the flowers are great in salads
I have a ton of sweet pea growing wild in my yard and do not want it in my pond. It looks nice but once you get it, it grows everywhere. You want some come get it out of my yard, I won't charge you.!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I grew mine from seed I got at the dollar store so planted it in flower pots to keep it in check ,hopefully it will works as this darn passion flower is driving me nuts ,I just ripped out a whole garbage can full and this is whats left to trim back .Bert got a spanking for being bad

Attachments

• pee house pond 2012 031.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 031.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 236
  • pond new trellis 008.JPG
    pond new trellis 008.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 237

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will take the passion flower over the darn creeping charlie I have growing here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You wouldn't if you had it .I like the flower but it is under the front porch and the back deck and even ripped some up by the carport .One whole garbage can full stuffed to the brim and this is still left to take out and I took a bunch out only a month ago .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
most likely sissy, there are plants that like to destroy houses. Darn creeping charlie at least stays on the ground, it just covers up everything. Easy to yank out, well slow it down at least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hey, Jen, I just noticed this past weekend that I have a really deep red lily, so the one I got last year from Menards must have lived after all! It's almost as dark as the one in the photo. I forgot to take a picture of it, and will have to wait for the next blooms. My silly lilys are blooming from sometime AFTER I leave for work (8:20) and start closing up before I get home (5:15). So, have to take pics on the weekends. Hope your dark red grows well and blooms for you this year!
Also, I noticed the lily tubers I got from that lake last fall have not bloomed, and are hardly growing, only have about 6 leaves. Then I remembered that I cannot reach the pots, they are on a step, so a level below the others, so they have not been fertilized. I will be sure to get in there and get that pot fertilized this weekend. I bought some tree and bushes fertilizer spikes that are really huge, but someone said you can break them up and use them and since they were on sale really cheap at Menards, I bought 2 boxes of them. For the weight and number, there should be enough for at least 50 plants after I break or cut them up. Hoping the process of breaking them up won't be too difficult ...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This dark pink one was supposed to be the almost black, pink red. Might be our well water, ph etc,keeping it from being darker, it has huge flowers, deep deep pink

DSC03517.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, that lily is gorgeous, Addy! BTW, I've had my first bloom from tubers you sent to me! It was a beautiful pink, but not quite open in the a.m. before I leave for work, and closing by time I get home, so hoping it will be open today for pics!

Ask a Question