getting corrugated tubing on barbed fittings

Reaction score
HOW DO YOU GET THEM TOGETHER!. I CAN'T GET IT BY THE FIRST BARB AND IT POPS OFF WITH EASE WHEN TESTING THE CONNECTION. TRIED WD-40, VASELINE. NOTHING WORKS. I NOW HAVE BROKE THE PLASTIC FITTING FROM MY FILTER TRYING TO GET IT ON. NOW MY POND IS DOWN AND PARTS HAVE TO BE ORDERED. YES I AM YELLING. I AM SO MAD

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have special connection that is a clamp with 2 wires that go between the ribs .I know plumbing supply places sell them and my lowes sells them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
In the mean time if you have zip ties would work as a quick fix .just make sure you use pliers to pull it tight

Reaction score
is your flex tubing rigid like mine is? It has no strectch whatsoever. It is like trying to put a steel pipe on an identical sized fitting

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine was rigid check out clearwater lakes and ponds they can show you what the clamps look like.They are called spiral hose clamps for corrugated hoses for ponds and lakes

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I went online to them to find the best pic of what the clamp looks like .It has 2 wires and it does work and some plumbing supply stores have them and even some automotive stores have them ,not sure why but some do have them .

Reaction score
oh those things. I do have those. I clamped it on when i got it on the first barb, but since the tubing barely gets on the fitting, it was not solid enough and fell off. I tightened it very tight, so I thought. I don't even remember anymore. Since then I also broke the other fitting on the PUV 2000. I took a block of wood and pounded the bejesus out of it. It was not budging at all and the plastic lip is now broken on both fitting, the intak and the outtake.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why no one likes that kind of hose .I bought sump pump hose and it works great it is corrugated but has where you can cut to length round smooth parts and so far this is the second season and no leaks and for 10 dollars ,hey it works for me .They do have heavier duty stuff for sump pumps at the plumbing supply .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hate that hose and try to warn people after I bought it /some think it works fine and for a little breakage maybe but for the money they want for it .it is not for me

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your welcome and wish I could help more but I have a worthless bunch of hose too ,same kind ,got it from lowes .It is not really worth much and don't even know why I keep it .It just keeps breaking but try to find some use for it .I may cut it up and try it in a bio filter and see if it is any good for that

Reaction score
this is a complaint I sent to Danner, not that it will matter:

Sorry, I am frustrated. Hooking up a Hydrive2100 to a Pondmaster PUV2000 should not be this difficult.
complaint number 1: Why is it that the recommended pipe diameter for the pump is 1.5 inches, so a 1 inch and a 1 1/4 inch fitting is provided? I needed to buy a short 1 1/4 inch tube and mount it to the filter along with a 1/1/2 inch modifier. Why can't 1 1/2 inch fitting be provided with the pump when it is your recommendation?
complaint number 2: this is the reason for the real frustration. Have you ever tried to put a flexible pvc over a barbed fitting? It's basically impossible. I barely got it on the assembly described on complaint 1. It is impossible to get it on the quick connect fitting provided with the filter. THe barbs are fewer and larger. It will not get past the first barb to ensure a reliable connection. I ended up breaking both fittings so I had to order two more for 40 additional bucks. I need to get past that first barb where I then can add a spiral clamp. An alternative is to buy sump hose where I guess it will go on easier, but it is cheap material and the inside is ridged unlike the PVC which is smooth.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use a little vaseline and rub it on the fitting and a push and it helps it go on .Also warming the tubing if it is rubber helps also makes it more flexible .I use a hair dryer on hottest temp .You can get rubber pond hose but it is not cheap and some of the fittings for pumps I have found in lowes ,home depot and plumbing supply stores and funny thing is I found some in collie equipment here where I bought my commercial grade lawn mower .I improvise when it comes to fittings they are out there but they may be hiding .I take along parts and when I am out seems like they just pop up .I guess a lot of pump places these days do not care about there product .My neighbor sent her pump back for repair 4 times before they finally gave her money back .it spent more time there than in her pond .She borrowed my cheap harbor freight pump every time and now has bought her own .34 dollars and got her hose there also .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i usually take the pipe (when working on my drip lines) get some boiling water, stick the hose in for a few, put some soap on the barbed fitting, it usually goes right on. ow can never get it on well.

Ask a Question