Getting new pond ready for winter...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have just redug and installed the pond, mostly filled with water. About 8x12x3-4'. Pump and filter works fine, tried putting a Lilly in the pond, but the koi ripped it up and spread the dirt everywhere, clouding up the water. Used flocculent, didn't really help. I have WH and WL in there, but they look very sick. Fish seem fine. Also have aerator going in there. I am nowhere near being done working the rocks along the edges and getting everything established, but I am running out of great fall days to get it set. I also used quick start for bio material. Maybe I just need encouragement to let the pond do its thing, since the fish are swimming well. I am testing the water after lunch. I don't really want to add more water until I get the edges established as that will wash even more dirt into the pond, but was wondering if there is something else I could do to make sure it is ready for winter. Thanks.

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the dirt in the pond. The pond is going to get dirty over the winter so clean it out in the spring. As far as the quick start bio material it was probably a waste. It will be cold soon and the bio material will stop working. The same goes for the plants. What is important is that you fill the pond so that the fish will be able to survive the winter. Unless your pump is in the bottom of the pond remove it and also drain the water lines and anything else that can freeze.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had to add the fish right away, unfortunately. I had a pond wall failure due to a storm and all the fish were in containers they had no room in.

It's about hip deep in the deepest part, but I plan to have the rocks back along the edge and more water in it by October.

I mostly think I need encouragement to keep at it. That big storm and damage set me back a little. I think the fish will be okay, but this will be my first time wintering them over outside.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fish love a little dirt in the pond so they can root around in it ,plus I think it adds a little insulation .Get a pond heater and and put a smaller pump right under the heater and pray your electric does not go off .I have seen ponders in Michigan with around 2 1/2 ft of depth and they make it through .Have confidence in your self that you are doing it right and it will turn out for you and then you can brag next spring .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The breathers work great, that is what I used last winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I had to add the fish right away, unfortunately. ...

I know you were asking about winter prep in this thread, but you really do need to have your fish as healthy as possible going into winter, so I'm a little concerned that their health may be negatively affected by being in a non-cycled pond.
Are you regularily testing the water quality now?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
as long as you keep an opening in the ice for gas exchange you are OK .You will just need to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best .A heater and a smaller pump and you should be fine and i know some on here use the pond breather to keep an opening so consider that also

Ask a Question