Getting prepared for winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pump at the deepest part of my pond that feeds a waterfall via the filtering system,the fish go to the deepest part to keep warm in winter,am I taking the warm water from the bottom and replacing with cold ,should I turn off the pump for winter,thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a pump at the deepest part of my pond that feeds a waterfall via the filtering system,the fish go to the deepest part to keep warm in winter,am I taking the warm water from the bottom and replacing with cold ,should I turn off the pump for winter,thank you
You won't see much of a temp difference unless you have at least 10' depth and even then, there's other factors. That said, I'd raise your pump halfway up and not mix the water more than you have to. Some turn off the pump and just keep a hole open for gasses to escape. To do this, some use pond breathers or aerators near the surface with a de-icer handy just in case. Careful if you keep the pump running that your filter system doesn't freeze and break and/or the wfall freezes up and diverts water out of your pond. Depends on how your wfall is lined and bordered.

I've done both methods and now even cover my pond in the winter so I can start up in the spring faster while keeping water temps higher than without. I'd say if you can keep the pumps running, albeit less powerfully than in summer, your pond will benefit, esp if you have a lot of fish.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the other method, shut all off for the winter, back on around March or so. My pump is external, so I would worry about a power out and it freezing. I like the moving water break it gives me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Another concern with having a pump at the lowest depth of your pond is if there is a plumbing problem, it could empty the pond of water . I'm not sure how your pond is plumbed, but just thought I'd mention it :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1607289870653.gif
@Michael 61

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Michael 61 Hello and welcome!

How cold are your winters, and how deep is your pond? @brokensword is right about the depth for temperature differences.

My first winter with my pond, I had a digital thermometer with 2 probes set up: one at the deepest point (around 3 1/2’) and the other just below the surface. No noticeable differences in water temp. We have mild winters here in the Southern US, and even if we get a few days and nights of freezing or below, the water temp stays consistent. I leave my pump going 24/7/365.

Goldfish and koi are cold water fish. They don’t seek out warm water.

Oh, and ditto what @Tula said. Best to raise the pump up some so as not to accidentally ever have your pond run dry. It’s easier tp replace a burned out pump than it is to replace your beloved fish!

Ask a Question