getting ready for winter/ fishtank filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Alrighty folks, I just found me a 55 gallon fish tank (which "some" of my backyard kids will go into for winter and the rest into another tank I need to find), now it has some kind of filter thing it came with but I do not think it has everything it needs for it to work, but have no idea as to how to set it up for that matter. Thinking I should just go buy me a new filtration system for it. Any idea as to what would work for this size of tank and how the heck to hook it up!? Last year I only had 5 goldfish about 5 " in length and they were in a tub on the porch with the bubbler from the pond on them...this year I have twice that many fish many double in length (from nose to tip of tail) and two babies about an inch long I just found and two 6" er's from last years. I know the one inch per gallon rule too.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated as I haven't had a fish tank for yearssss.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought a fluval canister for my 55 gallon tank. It is working great. Honey wanted to overwinter our deck shubunkins in the house. So now I have a tank to care for lol.

Let me find it, a friend mentioned a filter he has been using for years, a little cheaper, and he says it works great. I need to do a memory search.

found it this one http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1497.l2649

our tank will break the rules of inches of fish per gallon..........by a little. I will have to actually test water, not like the pond which is self sufficient.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I looked at the eheim canisters, read the reviews, the fluval had a better gph flow from what I read and had more filter chambers. But the eheim seemed to be well built.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks! I figured it would have to be an outside unit of some kind. The guy I bought the set up from said he paid twice what he's sold it for, now I think I know why as there was no filter for it lol...but hey 60 bucks for a 55 gallon tank, abunch of fake plant life, heater and an air thing wasn't to bad I dont think. And it does not leak!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's the first set up for the fish for winter...55 gal tank. The last picture has some sort of filter box but what would I attach it to for the water to cycle through it? Thats why I'm looking into getting just a new filter set up...any suggestions or would this one pictured work with somethin that I'm missing? Also what the heck is the little thing in the last picture in the center with the little propellor?

Attachments

• P9040267.JPG
    P9040267.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 290
  • P9040269.JPG
    P9040269.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 283
  • P9040272.JPG
    P9040272.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 252

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There should be a pump motor that slips onto or over a projection on the bottom of the filter box. The impeller drops into the projection from the inside, and draws water into the box, to overflow via the two 'waterfall' places on the box. The U-shaped thingy fits down over the impeller.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ah ha! I figured it out after playing with it John thanks! Sadly though I'm betting it wont handle my fishies "loads" other than cleaning those two little filters out every other couple of days...but gotta start somewhere I'm guessing! At least I'm thinking they have another month and a half to be out in their pond yet before the cold stuff sets in here but maybe not until the beginning of November. Never know around Nebraska what its going to be like until it hits us. Better safe than sorry though I figure, thats why I got the tank and plan on getting another for everyone before it strikes cold here.

Now here's another question for ya all...I do not use charcol of any kind and the two little filters are full of it...I remember years back I used a filter that had charcole in it and it turned my goldfish black :eek:.

So am wondering if I should just go ahead and purchase another gravity fed filtered tank instead? Also wouldn't I need some sort of air flow gaget to be put in here too?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the fluval came with two small bags of charcoal, I rinsed it first, got the charcoal dust off, my fish still have color, not black lol. It is a gravity filter, sitting on the floor next to the tank (breaking the rules) but it is working fine. (they say it must be below the tank)
I added some extra filtering material to the tank.

I do have a aerator going, just to add movement in the one end of the tank.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks addy! I'm still debating but it looks like the fluval is a decent filtering system...watched a video of it on utube :D. Love it when I find visuals :)) helps the blond in me understand! :eek: I believe I found someone with another tank set up since I wont be able to put everyone in the same 55 gallon tank...they'll just have to kiss through the glass (s) and make up in the spring when they get back into the pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Fluvals are great canister filters. I have 2 on my 75. So does my son, they have lasted for years. The charcoal is good to take out odors and clean the water. You have to rinse it good to get the dust out. I just have the ceramic noodles and cut up matala mats in mine now. Are you filling the tank with your pond water? I have an air stone in my tank.

Reaction score
Use the filter that came with the tank, its a decent filter and add one of these http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/ati-hydro-sponge-pro-filter-5.html
it is driven by an air pump which I think is the "air thing' you mentioned.
In recent years research has found that although helpful when new carbon quickly becomes super saturated and then begins to release back into the water column.
You can either cut the cartridge and remove the carbon which will allow you to rinse and reuse the cartridges for a very long time or go the expensive route and use them with the carbon but change them monthly.
The key to successfully keeping the fish in the tank healthy, especially in what will be overcrowded conditions is not the filtration it's the nitrate removing water changes you must do weekly.
If you need any more information please ask, I know little about ponds but I have kept tanks for over 30 years and have learned a bit.
Anthony.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I filled mine with pond water, that way the ph and hardness are in better shape.

Thanks anthony, I had tanks in arizona, 175 gallon was my last one, but none since. This tank was my husbands desire, but under my care lol, he wanted our deck shubbies brought in for the winter, they are all around 1-2 inches not counting tails.

How much water do you remove weekly? percentage wise.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep my plan is to take their pond water which is what they are used to and all set up with the good life in it and putting it into their new winter home(s). The tank that I bought only had the one over the top filter, a heater, some rock (but I'm getting new rock) and some pretties to put on the bottom. I just dont think that little over the side filter is gonna do it for my kids, thats why I'm thinking of buying a gravity fed filtration system for it. I also figured they would need abit more air so will have to find an air pump too. Probably walmart for that.

I also bought a used 29 gallon tank and will split my fish up between that and the 55 gallon tank. I would of loved to have found a huge tank but found these two cheap (both on craigslist). The 29 gallon came with everything I'll need for it (thank goodness!). Thanks Anthony for the hints!!

Ask a Question