Getting ready for winter

Reaction score
Hi all, It's been a spell since my last visit here and the changes look great... I'm getting my pond ready for winter, which only involves a good cleaning of the bottom, slowing down on the filtration and waterfall, and putting the floating heater in... Oh, also cutting back the hardy lilly pads... It's not so pretty when ready for winter, but most of my fish are ten years old, give or take one or two years in a few cases and they have always just done great...
I got home from an elk hunting and camping trip up in the Uncompahgre Wilderness area of the Colorado Rockies, and promptly caught the H1N1 flu followed by complications involving my lungs, throat and mouth, and so am a bit late getting all this done, but have her by the tail now... Hope everyone else is well.... The pictures, well, they don't have much to do with ponds, I just wanted to try the new software and share the beauty of camping at 10.000 feet up in the snow... God Bless.... Dave

Attachments

• ELKHUNT2009 047aaaa.jpg
    ELKHUNT2009 047aaaa.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 364
  • ELKHUNT2009 135.jpg
    ELKHUNT2009 135.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
IronKnees, welcome back! Sorry to hear about your recent troubles with the flu! Glad to hear you made it through and are back in business closing down your pond.

We've been yapping here recently about closing our ponds, too, and you can read lots of posts on the interesting pond covers we've made to throw on top and what we're doing about feeding now, etc. Hope you can catch up on those threads and jump in.

Those photos are breathtaking! Glorious! You truly do live in a stunning part of our country, brother.

Looking forward to hearing about your plans to close the pond, and we're already talking about some spring stuff.

Reaction score
DrCase said:
Welcome back

Thanks! I worked on the pond some yesterday and probably will finish up today and take some pictures to add here if the fish will cooperate... Dave :D:frown:

Reaction score
We got one bear and one elk... The weather was warm for the most part and the animals were mostly above 12,000 feet in the dark timber... No pictures because of course they were quartered in the field and packed out...

Attachments

• Bear[1].jpg
    Bear[1].jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 317
  • ELKHUNT2009 117p.jpg
    ELKHUNT2009 117p.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 339
  • ELKHUNT2009 129.jpg
    ELKHUNT2009 129.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave you probably havent met me before depending on when you were last on but I've been around a few years now the names Dave , weve been koi keeping 28 years this year , what are your fish ?
Goldfish have a life span o around 40 years koi 80+ so your fish are doing well . our oldest a large doitsu is 28 years of age this year .
Fantastic photo's by the way :cool:

Dave

Ask a Question