Getting ready to install a new pond..

Reaction score
I had a pond years ago, just 4 X 10 feet and only 2 feet deep, with a rubber liner. One labrador later and the pond unfortunately didn't survive, and I really miss growing lilies and having a few gold fish to watch. Anyways, I was driving through town and saw 2 pre formed ponds on someone's lawn with a "make an offer" sign on them. They are pretty good sized for preformed and was able to snap both up for $100. Here is the question I have, I would like to set the smaller pond above ground about 3/4 of a foot and let it spill into the larger pond for a water fall effect, so my question is, can a preformed liner be heated and reshaped to act as a spillway and if so how? Thank you!

Reaction score
Hmmm....I would not attempt to reshape a preformed pond. But you could cut out a side of it and put a waterfall weir on it if you're DIY handy. You can get the idea here. See how they cut out the side of that stock tank? Preformed ponds are made outta the same material. Koiguy here on this site sells weirs.

The other thing you could do that might be easier is to bury one of the ponds under ground. Set the second pond up on cinderblocks over it (of course make it pretty by covering the block with stone, plants, etc. Grab a 3 1/4" hole saw bit and pop a hole in the top one and stick a 3" black ABS pipe into it to form your falls (you would use a male and female conduit fitting in each side to secure to the body of the pond. Then slather it all around on both sides with P&L Roofing and Flashing sealant (from HD or Lowes).

Reaction score
I'm rethinking everything now, it will be a few more weeks before we can actually start digging. I like the idea of setting one pond higher than the other, they are both good sized, one is 6 X 8' and the other is 5 X 6'. was thinking of something similar to what you mentioned in the second paragraph of your post, which would not be too hard to do, then I could "hide" the conduit with a bridge that I salvaged from the old pond. I would love nothing more to do than start this project now but my DH says that the inside of our house needs to be finished before we start outside...to which I threatened to take the seldom used in-ground pool and turn it into the dream of all Koi ponds! There are too many projects and not enough time. Thank you for the info!

Reaction score
what you're describing really woudn't be very expensive. A bunch of cinder blocks to lay the top pond on, somes stone and a few fittings and pipe.

Your hubby sounds like mine! LOL! Stop spending time/money on that pond when we have plenty to do inside! LOL!

Ask a Question