Getting rid of koi carp for new fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
My koi have koi pox. I can live with that as I know there is no treatment. I am looking to the future when they pass away and I want to start all over again with new fish. How do I prepare the pond? I expect that I would have to thoroughly drain and dry the pond, change all the internal filter elements, but what else should I do so the new fish I introduce will not get the pox? Should I use a strong cleaner to disinfect the pond? Any advise is appreciated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1623430666827.gif
@LKelley
I don't have koi but seems like I have heard that they can live quite a long time w/that disease. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer your questions.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen some say they can live 20-30 years

Welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
How old are your koi and how long have they had the pox? In general their immune system matures and the pox “goes away “ and the white waxy marks don’t show up anymore leaving the koi looking fine

Reaction score
Country
United States
How old are your koi and how long have they had the pox? In general their immune system matures and the pox “goes away “ and the white waxy marks don’t show up anymore leaving the koi looking fine
I only have the 2 koi. Unfortunately the one with the pox passed away. They are only 2 years old. Maybe I misdiagnosed it. I only went by images and info on the net. The other one seems to be fine. Also have 2 small goldfish in the pond. I did a complete water change (it’s a very small pond) and he seems to be quite happy but I’m not going to introduce any new fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This topic was recently discussed — I’ll see if I can find it and post the link. You can’t “get rid of” carp pox. Even if you completely “sterilize“ your pond and equipment, any new fish you bring in can be carriers. As others have said, it’s not fatal.

Oh wait! This was your thread, as well. Hopefully, with it double-posted, you found the answers you were looking for.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sorry to hear you lost a fish. Your comment that "it's a very small pond" may give a bigger clue as to the issue - koi don't belong in small ponds. And I realize this is "water under the bridge" (or down the drain, in this case) but a complete water change is rarely a good idea. If you feel you need to change out the water, (and there are two schools of thought on that practice) it's far better to do it in small increments.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This topic was recently discussed — I’ll see if I can find it and post the link. You can’t “get rid of” carp pox. Even if you completely “sterilize“ your pond and equipment, any new fish you bring in can be carriers. As others have said, it’s not fatal.

I think you just posted the OPs post... in the OPs post. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with you. Don't introduce any new fish right now. Most people like a lot of fish, which they put in at the beginning.
I did the same. If you have a pair, they will spawn, then the over crowding really begins.

Ask me how I know.:rolleyes:

Ask a Question