Getting rid of the pond border ring

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
My objective is to rid our water garden of its ubiquitous flat stone edging on the front and left side. That entire area is in shade so mulch or some type of growing ground cover will replace the flat stones. The problem is what to do with the on-bank liner. It extends approximately 12 to 18 inches around the front and left side perimeter. I've given thought to burying the on-bank liner to within a couple of inches from the pond edge. This exposed liner would some how have to be disguised. Also have to prevent the new ground cover from getting into the water. The ponds liner is 43 mil EDPM.

Is my scheme to bury the perimeter lining a good idea? Has anyone else taken on such a task? As always your comments, suggestions and questions are welcomed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Big Lou why not just dig down under the liner drop it down a little then place your stones on top again this will hold the liner inplace and the mulch can disguise the flagstone , I hope this help you bro ?

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a section of our pond edge that is buried, I think as you are describing. Basically we pulled the edge all the way back (probably 12-14 inches from the point where a rock would go if there were to be a rock at that spot). The ground underneath gradually slopes upwards and the liner follows that upwards slope away from the edge. That area is shallow and attracts frogs who sit and wait for the bees and other insects that use that area for getting a quick drink. It's a great way to break up the round-the-pond-with-rocks look.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My objective is to rid our water garden of its ubiquitous flat stone edging on the front and left side. That entire area is in shade so mulch or some type of growing ground cover will replace the flat stones. The problem is what to do with the on-bank liner. It extends approximately 12 to 18 inches around the front and left side perimeter. I've given thought to burying the on-bank liner to within a couple of inches from the pond edge. This exposed liner would some how have to be disguised. Also have to prevent the new ground cover from getting into the water. The ponds liner is 43 mil EDPM.

Is my scheme to bury the perimeter lining a good idea? Has anyone else taken on such a task? As always your comments, suggestions and questions are welcomed.

Why not just fold the excess liner under?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Big Lou why not just dig down under the liner drop it down a little then place your stones on top again this will hold the liner inplace and the mulch can disguise the flagstone , I hope this help you bro ?

Dave

Re my scheme I would dig down under the liner. The liner is then below ground level. The displaced soil is then placed over the liner. Next the mulch is placed over the soil. The stone is then taken away.

Help me better understand your reason for retaining the stone. Interesting.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Correct me if I am wrong Meyer.

If I fold the liner under itself it is then thicker due to the folds. Placing mulch over the higher folded liner would increase the likelihood of the mulch getting into the pond.

?
Are the sides of your pond rocked?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I want to remove the flat stones marked with a red X. Thanks for your help.

097.2.jpg

Reaction score
It's always good to leave excess liner when building your pond and to allow for any settling. but I believe your pond is a few years old now and surely has settled to the point where you don't need 18" of excess any more. I would just trim it back so you could easily fold it back on itself as Meyers suggested and place a random stones (similar to the stones in the water level) over the folded liner to hide it and hold it down. Planting some creeping Jenny (or something similar) in the dirt side of the liner will quickly grow over and hide every thing nicely.
You are right to want to get rid of the flat stone along the top edge though. I've always found the look of mixed stones with round and flat doesn't look natural. Better to keep all the stones of the same type, just varying the size.

Ask a Question