Getting started....

Reaction score
Gonna give this a go.. I like the idea of a small pond in our new landscaping. Will more than likely be asking lots of questions to you experts

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome! glad you joined

smileywelcome687.gif

Us experts.........lol.........only because we have been there done that before as far as mistakes in building. But we love to share and help

Reaction score
Well, we are limited as we want to put it in our front yard landscaping. Since this is our first foray into this and we did not want to spend a ton of money on something we may or may not like, we decided to go with a 125 gallon premolded pond. If we like, we have a large back yard and we could go as big as we want. I have read and believe we have all the necessary things to get it up and running. My only question is what type of fish and how many. My wife really wants Koi and we were thinking maybe 3 or 4 is the correct amount.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no no koi, that is way to small for koi. Only goldfish or shubunkins and very few.

Koi grow fast and large.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
The preforms are nice and will get you started without a ton of work(digging). Like addy1 said it will be to small for koi to live a healthy life. Start off with some shubunkins and when you really get into it(most do) you can put the 3000 gallon one out back and stock some koi. You are going to go through alot of changes in the first few months untill it establishes itself. Green water, amonia spikes, so be carefull with the fish load from the start. Maybe put a couple feeded goldfish in at first to help things along and ack as guinea pigs.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I would have probably put the wrong fish in there if the people at the pet store wouldnt have warned me. I was hoping to install today, but bad weather has postponed that plan.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome Tmilres and expect I will never ever claim to be .LOL .I feel like I'm starting over everyday

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard! I agree, stay goldfish shubunkins, no koi in that size pond, Not a good fish for a newbie anyway. Goldfish are better starter fish and don't get as large.
be sure and check with you Ins. Co. and local laws about a pond in the front yard. That small you should be ok, But I have seen some issues arise on ponds in the front yard, Larger ponds do have codes that have to be followed in some areas and in a front yard they have to have protection from children falling in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Tmllres. Welcome! Starting out slow with fish is the best idea. You may want to read how to cycle a pond on older forum threads. Also so you know a 150 gallon pond will probably handle about 8-15 inches of fish total with an average amount of upkeep. Naturally fish grow so these should not be the starting point. Also if you are digging in your front yard make sure you know where your utilities are before digging. Good luck!

Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
Welcome Tmllres! You are in my neck of the woods......

Since we are both in NKY, what pet/fish store do you use. I have been using the one on Turfway across from the comic book store. I do not know alot and those guys have been pretty helpful but will always take advice from others.

Ask a Question