GFCI tripped, pump shut off--in winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I usually leave the waterfall running 365 days a year (per the old owner of our house/pond). Never, ever had an issue with doing this, even in the very coldest weather we have had in the past 2 years.

Well, at some point in the past 24 hours, the GFCI outlet that the pump was plugged into tripped. The pond itself is fine as I have a de-icer running right by the skimmer box. I reset the outlet, the pump started back up, waterfalls went back on as usual... Fish seem perfectly fine in their hiding spot under a rock slab where they spend most of the winter.

It's 5 degrees outside and dropping.... I guess my question is, besides obviously checking the pond in a little while to see if any pipes are leaking (I'd assume the water level in the pond would drop) and making sure the outlet doesn't trip again, anything else to look out for?

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Put a plastic child proof safety plug in the other outlet. Mine kept tripping until I did that. ...if that even applies to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I'll try to scrounge one up and try it.

I just went back outside to check on things--the outlet popped again right in front of me. Reset, tried plugging it in again--no luck. Tried swapping it with the de-icer plug on the other outlet (different circuit)--no luck. Plugged back into the other plug on the first outlet--it's running. We'll see how long it lasts.

Also the pump sounds noisier than usual (unless I am being paranoid). Maybe it's reached the end of its useful life? Great timing when we are having sub-zero weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Okay, it tripped again. The pump won't even turn back on now no matter which outlet I use--I even tried plugging it into an extension cord to use a completely different set of outlets away from the pond and the GFI on that other outlet tripped as soon as I plugged it in. I'm assuming the pump is toast and unfortunately I'm just going to have to take the risk of water freezing in the PVC pipes as it's after midnight, it's freezing cold outside, hubs is out of town and two time zones away, and I'm out of resources. Like I said earlier, GREAT timing for this to happen. I may just have to do repairs in the spring if the pipes crack.

I'm especially aggravated because I *just* went back to work today after 10 weeks of medical leave... so, really, pump? You couldn't have died at some other point in the past two months??

The de-icer is running fine and is keeping the pond ice-free, at least. I'll see how it is in the morning.

Would a pond breather at least help the fish get through the winter if I can get one installed in this kind of weather? The de-icer is obviously doing its job, but would it help to have more water circulation as well?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lots of people shut everything down for the winter @teeemkay and their fish are fine, so I wouldn't worry too much on that front. It does sound like your pump went bad. The extra cold weather may have added stress to an already failing unit...or, it just went bad at the worst possible time!

Getting it disconnected from the plumbing could be enough to save your pipes from freezing, as that would allow the water to drain from the pipes. But I know we aren't going to see any warmer weather here for at least a week. Your saving grace might be the snow we just got, which will help insulate your plumbing. How far underground are your pipes buried, do you know?

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Then the pump may be clogged ,maybe if you could leave it off until the weather warms up you can clean it and it will work .Could be a bad breaker or a bad gfci also .I had one crack from cold one winter .You have your heater so like said as long as gas can exchange it should be no problem .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Lots of people shut everything down for the winter @teeemkay and their fish are fine, so I wouldn't worry too much on that front. It does sound like your pump went bad. The extra cold weather may have added stress to an already failing unit...or, it just went bad at the worst possible time!

Getting it disconnected from the plumbing could be enough to save your pipes from freezing, as that would allow the water to drain from the pipes. But I know we aren't going to see any warmer weather here for at least a week. Your saving grace might be the snow we just got, which will help insulate your plumbing. How far underground are your pipes buried, do you know?
They are too close to the surface--they are exposed in some spots. I could put some snow over them where they are exposed before I head to work, I guess.

So aggravating...I messaged my boss and she said it's the Christmas curse. EVERY year a handful of us at work end up with a messed up car, broken furnace, etc. right before the holiday.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could put old pieces of throw carpet over them or mulch or straw to protect them .I put old throw carpets around my black elephant ears and it works .Sorry to hear about your furnace .I have always bought a service contract so if any thing happens they come 24 /7 and parts and labor included ,it is worth the 210 dollars a year .Had one on my house in NJ also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Oh the furnace at home is OK, thankfully... the furnace at work actually broke last week while I was still off. Same thing happened last year around this time--according to my boss it was a different part that broke this time around. Now, the car... I'm ready for a new one. It's having electrical problems, which you know is THE worst thing to happen to a functioning car because they are very difficult to diagnose and fix. It could be a simple loose wire, or it could be the computer going bad, or it could be an entire wire harness going bad... We know very good mechanics and even they have to go through trial-and-error to try and fix it.

The pond is still ice-free this morning (or if there is indeed any ice, it's so thin it's not noticeable from inside the house.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It's precisely for these reasons that all of my ponds are shut down for the winter months.

Blow out the lines, drain the waterfall vault, drain the filters and leave it alone until Spring.

As to vehicle electrical issues........it wouldn't be any chance be a Dodge/Chyrsler product, would it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It seems like when it rains it pours bad luck .So far lucky with our 2001 explorers just regular stuff to be done on them .But my pond has been my nightmare .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
It's precisely for these reasons that all of my ponds are shut down for the winter months.

Blow out the lines, drain the waterfall vault, drain the filters and leave it alone until Spring.

As to vehicle electrical issues........it wouldn't be any chance be a Dodge/Chyrsler product, would it?
LOL Nope. Buick LaCrosse. I love the car otherwise, but unfortunately it's becoming non-functional. My brother had a Dodge Stratus years ago and it was a nightmare--radio buttons broke after just a few months, etc. to say the least.

If I can find the shop vac I'll see what I can do later on. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I used to do nothing to my pond, except use the de-icer and all was fine. I've added a Pond Breather and aerator , now that my koi are bigger.

Ask a Question