GFCI woes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Went out to find a pond not running. GFCI was tripped. Found grass had grown up and made contact. Removed what I thought was the problem. Re-set, and it ran for about a minute, and tripped again. At that point, I un plugged everything, and systematically tried each device individually. Found it to be the Laguna 4500.
The one that is the main life blood of the pond. All the others are secondary. Pulled the pump, cleaned it out, re-installed it, and all seems well now. I usually clean the pump every year, but I guess this year, it wanted to be cleaned early.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know how a dirty pump would trip a GFCI. A GFCI detects a fault in the grounding.

I hope everything is OK. I hope it wasn't a bad connection that was temporarily corrected by disturbing the wire either at the pump or the male plug.

At least the GFCI is doing it's job.

GFCI's can go bad, but it looks like you found the culprit by process of elimination.

Ask a Question