GFI trips

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. Brand new here. When I plug in my pond the GFI outlet trips every time. This only started recently. All seems dry at the plug and elsewhere. Two people have told me it is likely that the pump is going bad. The pump is pretty inaccessible but I could get to it and check it out. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this.
Thanks in advance.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you try plugging something else into that GFI? If it trips with something else then its not the pump. Is there anything else plugged in on that circuit? Possibly overloaded circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Other things plugged in there do not trip it. Nothing else plugged in there.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Seems like it has to be something wrong with the pump then. I'd check the cord also. Good example of safety equipment doing it's job.

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If its just the pump causing it then probably time for a new pump. Gfi doing its job keeping you and fish safe. I had a pump go bad and electrify my pond- not good!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593794388483.gif
@mglambo
Sounds like you need a new pump.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
GFI’s also go bad and the circuit breaker can go bad as well. While it likely seems like it is the pump the safest thing would be to have an electrician examine it. If you have to go in the pond to check out the pump make sure to unplug it first.

Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen just the other day. I got a new plug at Home Depot, cut the old one off the cord and re-wired it back up. Plugged it back in and the pump is not tripping the breaker. Very much worth a shot. $6 fix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If the GFCI breaker or outlet is tripping, that means that it has sensed that some of the current through its hot lead has a found a return path other than the neutral lead, like through defective sealing and/or insulation in something plugged into the circuit. Since the GFCI only trips with the pump plugged in, that pump is the most likely suspect.

Ask a Question