Ghost koi blinded by toad latched onto head

H&M

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone , a few weeks ago I noticed a toad was latched onto the head of my ghost koi but the fish swam under so I couldn't remove it .Unfortunately a week it was still there with it's front legs imbedded in the fishes eyes. I pulled them both out and managed to pull the toad off. The fishes eyes were sucken into it's head and have now gone cloudy. The poor thing is at the the surface of the pond more often than not. I have been told it happened because of a lack of females to mate with but there are other mating pairs and we have always had an abundance of females before. Not quite sure what to do about my fish, whether or not it is dying or simply disorientated because it is blind . Any advise would be appreciated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1583349760976.gif
@H&M
Wow that is horrid what happened to the fish! I'm not sure what you can do for the poor fish. Hope someone might come up w/something for you. If the fish has gone blind and no infection then I would think it could still survive well enough to keep swimming and eating and enjoy the life it has.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have thrown food in one side of my pond and somehow the fish way on the other side, some down under the water, must sense it or smell it (do fish smell?) and they all come running and I don't thing they see me but maybe they do. So can a blind fish sense where the food is? I don't know but you could throw food right over that fish and watch to make sure he/she gets fed every time you feed them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope the fish is ok
Would have thought if the pond was relatively free of predator threat it could still live a happy life it was able to find it's food

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Say what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stress coat is what i would use apply to the entire pond it wont hurt healthy fish or bacteria

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My two cents:

If fish are similar to humans, it's rare to become completely blind. If the fish can see a change in the shadows above the pond and hear you coming that may be good enough. Besides they can smell the food supposedly.

The fish can hear other fish going up to eat and splashing. It will follow the sound and try to eat as well as you toss food to it.

Ask a Question