Gill flukes -- treatments, concerns? Microscope success, part 2

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just posted regarding success with the microscope.......

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/good-news-microscope-success-bad-news.16726/
  1. What is the treatment and procedure for eliminating gill flukes?
  2. Does the treatment do any harm to the biological filter?
  3. OMG! Now I'll need to check and see if the recommended treatment will be harmful to the box turtles, since they share the same water source!!!! Reptiles are particular in what they can/can't be treated with.
  4. Before I proced with a treatment plan, should I pull another healthy fish or 2 and do scrapings on them? Or does one just assume that if a fish that died, that had flukes in its gills, then chances are the entire pond is in danger?
  5. I'll also have to treat my inside tank -- I put the sick fish in the tank my 2 little fantails that are in QT.
  6. Oh, and [big AND] I took a water lily from the pond and placed it inside the outdoor QT with my 2 new Watonai -- so guessing that will need treatment, as well.....?
Just starting my 4th season with the pond, and first time to have to treat for anything.

@Dave 54 @fishin4cars

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Absolutely no question.....Praziquantel is THE fluke medication. It is also the best medication for treating flukes on turtles, so that should allay your fears.
It does make me feel better, yes! Is it readily available and how do you dose with it [since I'll be doing a pond and a 20 gal tank]?

And back to one of my original questions -- do I need to scrape a couple more fish before I start Tx, or just go ahead with Tx?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Cant really help you this time Maggie as I dont live in the US and dont know what treatments you have over there .
Meyer can more than probably point you in the right direction , so you have flukes eh question both move towards the gill area which one do you have Gyrodactylus or skin fluke or Dacttlogyrus or body fluke as they are both very similar in their shape etc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I just posted regarding success with the microscope.......

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/good-news-microscope-success-bad-news.16726/
  1. What is the treatment and procedure for eliminating gill flukes?
  2. Does the treatment do any harm to the biological filter?
  3. OMG! Now I'll need to check and see if the recommended treatment will be harmful to the box turtles, since they share the same water source!!!! Reptiles are particular in what they can/can't be treated with.
  4. Before I proced with a treatment plan, should I pull another healthy fish or 2 and do scrapings on them? Or does one just assume that if a fish that died, that had flukes in its gills, then chances are the entire pond is in danger?
  5. I'll also have to treat my inside tank -- I put the sick fish in the tank my 2 little fantails that are in QT.
  6. Oh, and [big AND] I took a water lily from the pond and placed it inside the outdoor QT with my 2 new Watonai -- so guessing that will need treatment, as well.....?
Just starting my 4th season with the pond, and first time to have to treat for anything.

@Dave 54 @fishin4cars
Hi Maggie I would say well done girl but flukes are not nice things to have in a pond , howerver before we start which fluke do you have "that is the question", do you have
a)Gyrodactylus. or (skin flukes).....
b)Dactylogyrus.or (Flukes).... the problem being is that they both gravitate towards the gills .
Wh looked at under the slide both flukes seem to move by a process of Contraction and expansion , you'll also note that when a fish is infected with skin flukes then alot of mucus is produced if the infection becomes severe then secondary infections such as fungus or bacterial will arise .
If you find gill flukes aree your problem then then the gills will show signs of infection , this can be charecterised by a disculoration of the gills and the large amount of mucus causing the gill filaments to stick together .
I'm not from the US and would suggest a differing treatment to others in the US so I will agree 100% with Meyers diagnoses as to what to use in the use of Praziquantel

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Priscilla, me too! Geesh! I call myself keeping my water in good shape, but.....

@Dave 54 and @Meyer Jordan Thank you!

Meyer, I, too, looked up as much as I could regarding box turtles and Prazi. I lucked out with this one, and I'm just glad I even thought to consider the turts! So, that will always have to be something for me to consider for any future treatment issues with the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you must always check up on any other creatures living in your pond , how many times I've heard of someone loosing an Orfe is untrue simply because the person forgot that certain treatments and orfe dont do well together, so check first that Prazi wont harm Box turtles

Dave

Ask a Question