Gin Rin fry

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Today has been an elevator kind of day- all ups and downs. Spent 3 1/2 hours installing new parts on our Kenmore grill (estimate for repairs $400-500.) Worked great when we started it up but now the same problem. :banghead3: Went outside this afternoon and noticed the gin rin pond that was covered 3/4 with lilies is now over half bare! BirdX netting torn loose on 2 sides and lilies shredded. No fish missing that I can tell. Thinking dog or small deer. While replacing the netting spotted something moving next to the suppy line going to the filter- FRY! :claphands: Small yellow 1/2" guys chewing on the algeia. I thought we had a spawn a few weeks ago as we lost a large female from the other pond (jumped out) and ammonia levels went up. Can't wait to see if these guys will be gin rin or not. The last spawn we had only produced one fry and he is not gin rin but we did have some regular koi mixed in. Had spawning mats set up and a nursery tank but I guess they don't need it.Will try to get some pics of the kids growing up unless someone eats them!

Reaction score
If they are ginrin you will see it by the time they are an inch big. I have some gold and silver ginrin fry.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How does that song go..................there will be days like this.................

congrats fishy mom!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Currently have 8 fry in the gin rin pond. 7 are dark with metallic gold, silver or blue coloring and are gin rin. The last one is all orange and is showing no sign of gin rin scales. Had one hatch out last year that is the same color so guess there is still a mix in the pond. When I do my sale this fall, I am going to go thru and make sure to move all standard scales to the other pond. Will try to get some pics today but these guys are fast!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
027.JPG029.JPG026.JPGHere are some pics of the little guys. They are about 2" now and getting faster every day. They are the first ones to come up after the food.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Those are growing fast, look good and healthy. I had Gin Rin spawn three years ago and since then not one single baby has had any Gin Rin or metallic. Hoping maybe a few will show up when we pull our fry from the mud pond later this month. I can't tell what we have except a lot of little greedy mouths.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are really getting some color now. I would love to be able to catch them and get a closer look. I'm seeing one that had a nice dark purple coloring with the black and one with a teal and orange. Maybe they will slow down so I can get better pics.

Ask a Question