Giving Nature a Helping Hand

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
I don't believe in interfering with Nature, but when you watch your fish feeding on all the Tadpoles and a cheeky Robin feasting on them daily, I decided to make a habitat for the surviving Tadpoles. I have sat and watched them for hours and hours, takes me right back to my childhood days. So I made this little film.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Update...

First Froglet left the tadpole habitat today.

I wasn't on the understanding that their back legs didn't work until the front limbs have fully formed, but I do now.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, thanks for sharing! Great videos! I'm always rescuing taddies, froglets, and toadlets! Do you know what kind of frog it is?

And HOW were you able to get that close for such a great shot? My little guys see me coming and they're gone!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing!
I scooped up the eggs, put them in a bucket, then after a week that bucket's full of tads and mosquitoes larvae!! So I put the tads in the stream of the pond...now I dont see them anymore.. wondering if they die or hide somewhere. I hope they just hide somewhere...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
They are very good at hiding Nepen, I found some survivors in the pond the other day, thought they would have been eaten by now. They tend to like overgrown areas to hide in.

Mmathis, they do see me but they settle down quite quickly once you get yourself in a good position with your camera and just be very still, just like a statue.

I have been looking for the Froglet that made it's getaway from my tadpole habitat yesterday afternoon most of the day, late afternoon I spotted the Little Fella.

P4100110a.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great photos they do hide I am finding a lot of the new toads hopping around, well not a lot of them but here and there find a little hopper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Great photos they do hide I am finding a lot of the new toads hopping around, well not a lot of them but here and there find a little hopper.

These Little Fella's have torn me away from other projects this year addy1, everyone thinks they know everything about the Tadpole turning into a Frog, It's much more complex than we think, until you see it from a much closer level, like my habitat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
This pair left a few days ago.

P4100148.JPG

These 3 will leave sometime today.
P4100516.JPG

P4100515.JPG

P4100517.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
@turtle mommy, we only have two types of frog here in the UK, the common frog and the recently introduced but very rare pool frog which is restricted to some very small areas in the county of Kent which in the south east of the country. However, on looking at tiny termites info, I see Kent is his/her county! It's more likely these are common froglets, but I suppose there's an outside chance they could be pool froglets too!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@turtle mommy, we only have two types of frog here in the UK, the common frog and the recently introduced but very rare pool frog which is restricted to some very small areas in the county of Kent which in the south east of the country. However, on looking at tiny termites info, I see Kent is his/her county! It's more likely these are common froglets, but I suppose there's an outside chance they could be pool froglets too!
I didn't realize that the UK was so limited!

B

Burd

That is cool. I’ve tried in the past to do something like this. They always die off. Do you swap out some water often or what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I tried this last year (rescued from a puddle) and ended up releasing them into a nice stream, because a lot of them were dying.

Ask a Question