Glad I found this forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like there are a lot of people that are new to ponds like me. I have had the pond for about 9 months. About 2 months ago I added some goldfish. I wanted to try them before I bought any koi. The goldfish are doing fine. I haven't fed them at all, but I don't know what they are eating. I got a bunch of green string algae and after searching on the internet, I added some chemicals which didn't hurt the fish, but didn't completely clear up the algae. Besides the small amount of growing algae, there is a lot of dead (I think) algae on the rocks. I also purchased a water test kit. All of the tests were OK except the ph. It was at 8.0 I bought some ph down and have been adding it, but the ph is not changing at all. I am totally confused and I don't really want to add any more chemicals that don't seem to do anything. I worry about the goldfish, but they seem to be doing great. They have tripled in size since I got them. One other problem I have is tadpoles (and frogs). They are getting big and will be frogs soon. Do any of the experienced people have any suggestions for me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Don't worry about the ph, if it is stable 8 is fine.

Don't worry about the tads and frogs, they will always be around. I have tons.

How big is your pond? Make sure it is big enough for koi, they get huge.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the group!

As addy said your ph is fine and infact it is safer for your fish if you don't play around with the level trying to lower it.

Sounds like your fish are doing well without feeding them (they do eat bugs and algae from the sides and bottom of the pond) but if you get koi you will have to buy fish food and start feeding. I don't have koi myself but from what I have heard from those that do is that they are eating machines.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

A pond isn't quite like an aquarium where you have a fine window for your pH. A normal pH is what's normal for your pond. What you don't want is drastic changes, esp. a drop. Get a test for KH [carbonate hardness] and test for that as well. It will tell you how much of a buffer you have in your water, and since your pH didn't change when you added the "pH down," I'll bet you have a nice, high KH [which is a good thing].

What size is your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is 10 x 17 and 3 feet deep. The waterfall is about 15-20 feet high with 3 pools. There is a Proline 6600 pump (which sucks up the electricity) and a Big Bahama skimmer and biologic filter. I have tried to use the online calculators to figure out how much water is in the pond, but I don't think that they are very accurate. Maybe one day I will empty it and check it while I'm refilling it. I guess I'll quit worrying about the ph. I did the other tests when I got the test kit and they were all good. I'm kind of liking the goldfish and so I don't know if I will try koi. The green algae keeps growing and I have been taking it out by hand.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@HavasuMike I only have gold fish. Koi sound like too much trouble, LOL!

Is your screen name related to the Native American tribe?
Not really. I live in Lake Havasu in Arizona about half of the time. I don't know if it was named after the tribe or not. There are several other tribes nearby but I don't recall any of them being Havasu.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@HavasuMike I only know of the area through pictures I've seen -- of the most beautiful water and waterfalls you could imagine!

Taken from the tribal website:

Havasupai means "people of the blue green water". Havasupais have dwelt in the Grand Canyon and the rest of north-central Arizona for over 1,000 years, practicing summertime irrigated farming in the canyons and wintertime hunting in the plateaus. The Havasupai Tribe Reservation is at the end of Indian Route 18 off historic Route 66. It consists of 188,077 acres of canyon land and broken plateaus abutting the western edge of the Grand Canyon's south rim. Residents live in Supai Village in the 3,000 foot deep Havasu Canyon. The reservation was established in 1880 and substantially enlarged in 1975. The tribe is known for its location, traditional cultural life, and beautiful arts and crafts.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is beautiful, I have hiked down into the canyon many times. The color of the water is wow!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry. I didn't think about Havasupai and Havasu. I have heard of the Havasupai Indians. And you're right. It is beautiful there and here. Luckily they keep the lake full unlike Lake Mead, etc. I think it may be because there is a pumping station on the river that pumps to California. Lake Havasu is about 3 hours from the Grand Canyon though.

Ask a Question