Glad to be back

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
2017 been the Mother of all years for both Val and I , it started off with our PC giving up the Ghost!!!....
Then our IT man who we had to chase up has after a year saying of saying sorry its the USB on your PC that wont allow me to download any data on to our laptop but I cant transfer anything onto your new laptop finally admitted he didn't know how to do so, sadly it took him having heart attack and us bumping into him at our Doctors for him to admit it .
So in the end we got a professional involved that was yesterday and cost us £65.00 U K P which in our eyes was money well spent, however we lost quite a bit of data plus all our email address's so have to start from scratch again collecting and correlating much of our fish data . .
Our youngest cat Betty who has the Immunological problems with her paw pads punctured her right back foot causing them to swell up and because they swell up during the hotter months it caused the tissue inside the pad to push through causing the entire pad split .,
This took 3 months to heal plus countless visits to the vets plus countless UK sterling......
Because of this She was grounded meaning she was unable to go out for three months indoors with no no windows or doors open as such you can imagine how hot it became indoors it got to a heady 28c which in turn caused Val to develop Ulcers on both her lower legs these in turn had to be dressed everyday and she had to take two course's of Antibiotic drugs to clear them up.
Sadly my Adopted Mum Developed terminal liver cancer and after a valiant struggle died 7/9/17 aged 86 after being in remission from cancer for twenty years.
However we did both get to say our sad goodbyes, interestingly the hospice she died in was at one time the place where the first test tube baby was born.
It is now called the Dr Kershaw Hospice, in fact we beat the Ambulance taking her too the Hospice from Mum and Dad's home she was very suprised to see us sitting there in reception.
Sadly we couldn't make the trip up for the funeral because of what the the 6 hour trip up and six our trip back after our 6 hour visit to her in the hospice on the 1/9/17 did to us, ( it took us two weeks) just to recover from that trip Mum passed away six days later .
My Step-dad said he was so very proud that we totally pulled out all the stops to say our goodbyes but he didn't want us hurting ourselves just getting up for the funeral and that Mum would have totally agreed with him, so I arranged for my cousin Dianne represented our side of the family at the funeral.
However we did ask with vicar reading both Val's and my own last goodbyes to congregation of mourners that had packed the church to the rafters .
It was very well received by all (they knowing of my battered childhood and Mum's 17 years of hell with the man who called himself my Stepdad ).
On recovering I Had to go into in hospital on the 10/10/17 for the first part of a two part back operation in which wires where wrapped around my cocxyic (tail bone)and led under my skin to a pocket cut into the top of my right buttock then a months recovery before the second part taking place on the 10/11/17 .in which a 10 year battery and transmitter where installed (whilst still awake .
However I am not out of the woods yet as I have a foot operation coming up in March, to reset three toes my largest one having to be made straight again with bone also being shaved off it .
After that it is Val's turn in Hospital this is to have her left knee replaced but at the moment thanx to the under funding of the N.H.S. by this present Tory government it has had to be cancelled for another few months due to bed blocking and the winter flu bug .
So as you can see its not been a good year for both of us however friends have rallied round to help us through things which has been a godsend and we have tried to keep our spirits up through a somewhat difficult year .
One thing that still worries me is that Val's knee operation is make or break for her , because of the Muscular Dystrophy she cannot use crutches this means she will have to be pushed outside of her comfort zone for us to to successfully get her up and walking again, if we cant we will be looking at an electric chair for her to get around on for the rest of her life (hopefully it wont happen) but we have to think worst case scenario from the word get go ...

It's good to be back

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome back, may this year be better for you.
Thank you @addy1
We are not quite out of the woods just yet but Orthopaedic operations I've had more than my fare share of the way I look at its just bones and they get fixed in about six weeks
As I said Val is my main worry now

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Dave 54 , It's so good t o have you back ! I'm sorry about all the troubles in 2017 and upcoming medical issues. How are your koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using Medicarp koi food that can be used all the year round but sparingly in winter .
Because the policarbonate sheeting is new I wait till they come to the surface then peak under the sheeting as I can see them through it checking each koi carefully , I'm pleased to report that they are all hail and hearty with our oldest now in his 30's .
In the spring we will be removing the old filters to replace them with a modern day one made by Evolution aqua called an Easy pod and another by Oase called a filtoclear 15000

Oase-FiltoClear-Pond-Filters-Section.jpg
EazyPod__69626__70594.1478855822.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, how wonderful to have a koi in it's 30's !! I believe @callingcolleen1 has two koi, close to that age. What magnificent fish :)

I'll have to look up info on your new filtration. Last summer was my first season with a sand & gravel filter and it worked beautifully.

My pond is currently covered with a solar pool cover, over a wooden lean to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, how wonderful to have a koi in it's 30's !! I believe @callingcolleen1 has two koi, close to that age. What magnificent fish :)

I'll have to look up info on your new filtration. Last summer was my first season with a sand & gravel filter and it worked beautifully.

My pond is currently covered with a solar pool cover, over a wooden lean to.
I've added the images of the two filters @Tula to give you an idea of what they look like but the Easy pod alone will do the job of all four of my old filters plus if necessary I can add a small vortex and three bay filter and perhaps add plants to help remove Nitrates

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear you and Val have had such a difficult year, Dave. What was the back operation for?

Sometimes you can't control what life throws at you, but you can control how you deal with it and that's what matters. Positive mental attitude counts for a lot, so keep your chin up (y)

if we cant we will be looking at an electric chair

For a second I thought you were referring to a different type of electric chair!! :eek: I hope Val's knee operation goes well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The back operation was an operation to to regain proper control of my spinctors
View attachment 107931@Dave 54 You had a bum year but this one is going to be so much better!
We still have my Foot operation to go and Val's total knee replacement , but Becky is spot on because that's one thing that both Val and I have in spades " positive mental attitude"

Dave 54

Ask a Question