Glass top on pond?

Reaction score
I am in the design stage of a new square koi pond, i have just had two huge double doors taken out of my house, toughened glass, could the double glazed panes be used as a glass top to partially cover the pond?
Would it cause to much heat in summer, i've never seen apond with a glass top so i'm thinking there must be a reason why?

Any advice appreciated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it may and not only that but it will get dirty on both sides and may even fog up and not be good for viewing your pond

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
a couple of years ago I tried making one of those sphere's that sticks above the water so the fish could swim up and get a view of the sides of the fish. i used a ten gallon aquarium. It looked cool but in just a few days the temperature readings kept getting hotter and hotter. When it reached 90degree water temperature I decided it was time to remove the aquarium. the pond temperature started dropping and within 24 hours had dropped back to lower 80's to upper 70's. Glass, water, and sunlight, will make the temptress rise. a glass top is going to heat and hold the heat. I imagine if there is even the slightest moisture on the glass it will cover with algae extremely fast as well.

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Glass ,refractures light that magnafy ,depending on constant moving focal point ,solar effect if you will putting heat directly into the water air gap regardless of size doe not help much ,Too many minus not enough plus's ,would be real pain to try to keep clean ,and would only increase heating effect Streaks only cause more refracturing of lite.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Glass ,refractures light that magnafy ,depending on constant moving focal point ,solar effect if you will putting heat directly into the water air gap regardless of size doe not help much ,Too many minus not enough plus's ,would be real pain to try to keep clean ,and would only increase heating effect Streaks only cause more refracturing of lite.
:question:

Ask a Question