Glazene in batting bad for fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. We got some fish (we didn't intend to but... It's a long story). Anyway the fish guy told us to put salt (the unprocessed brown kind that he sold us) to reduce the stress on the fish. The pond was crystal clear prior to the fish and now has been murky. It's been a week.
Planning to use the polyester batting idea. Quick question: I ordered the stuff that the queen of dirt uses in the video but it said something about a glazene coating. Is that safe for the fish?
Secondly, this may be unrelated but I heard about koi clay and its benefits for rubber liner ponds. Any advice as to where to get it and which brand is better?
(I also realized the controversy about using salt after I'd already dumped it in so there's no point in belaboring that issue now).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would stay away from any coated batting. Just get plain sheet quilt batting. Water changes will eventually reduce the salt level.
It's the same brand that she uses in her video mountain mist. Maybe they changed the product?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would stay away from any coated batting. Just get plain sheet quilt batting. Water changes will eventually reduce the salt level.
I tried looking it up and from what I can tell, rather than being a coating (like it sounds), Glazene is a trademarked name for a method of thermal bonding. Beyond that, not a lot of info. Don’t know if the “bonding” process introduces any harmful chemicals, and also don’t know if it effects the permeability of the product. So, ultimately, it’s use at your own risk.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, anyone have any thoughts on koi clay? If it's a good thing then what brand is better/ where to get?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use koi clay as a buffer and for the minerals in it for fish health .It turns the water cloudy for a day and binds to fine algae and othe stuff and sends it to your filter clearing up the pond .It is also great for your skin as a mask .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use koi clay as a buffer and for the minerals in it for fish health .It turns the water cloudy for a day and binds to fine algae and othe stuff and sends it to your filter clearing up the pond .It is also great for your skin as a mask .
Thanks. Just ordered some.

Ask a Question