Glofish with Ich?

Reaction score
Hi all, I think my Glofish has Ich. I just put my heater back in tank and am going to slowly raise the temp up to 84-86. He's in a QT tank and has been there since I bought him New Year's Eve. The tank is 5 gal. I'm was wondering what meds to use and what to do to clean out the tank once he's better. I also want to get another fish after he's out and don't want to infect him. Here's a pic. On the fins you can see the white specks.

Apparently I must of had the I pad upside down when I took this pic:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 815
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Cdsdave,
I would use malachite green for treating ich.
Wash the tank out with bleach once you are done with it or just let it sit dry for a month.

Reaction score
Thanks John!! How'd you do it?

Wow, I was hoping once the treatment was done and the fish moved out of QT, that letting the tank sit empty for a week or so would kill off the Ich in need of a host. I did get a med with malacite green. The girl at petsmart said all tanks contain ich? I would hate to have to cycle the tank again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The ich life cycle is 4 weeks, and yes, some say ich is always present.
The best thing is to keep your fish healthy.
Do you know why your fish got ich in the first place? Low/high PH, fluctuating temperature, high ammonia?
If it's a qt tank, do you need it right away again?
1 week without fish is not enough time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Cdsdave said:
Hi all, I think my Glofish has Ich. I just put my heater back in tank and am going to slowly raise the temp up to 84-86. He's in a QT tank and has been there since I bought him New Year's Eve. The tank is 5 gal. I'm was wondering what meds to use and what to do to clean out the tank once he's better. I also want to get another fish after he's out and don't want to infect him. Here's a pic. On the fins you can see the white specks.

Apparently I must of had the I pad upside down when I took this pic:)
Dave didnt know you live in Ozzy land down under perhaps we should call you Bruce :D :D
I would use Malachite on my koi but please tell me certain species of fish cannot tolerate various treatments not sure about the glofish are there any warnings given by the fish shop about using varying chemicals in treating glofish?
The other thing you could use would be a topcal ich treatment i;e off the shelf treatment .

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
JohnHuff said:
Fixed it for you.

2cpryfa.jpg
Oh GREAT, Sir John! I spend a half-hour gluing my monitor upside-down to the bottom of the shelf, and THEN you turn the picture around!!! :grumble:
John

Reaction score
Dave, the med I'm using dose contain Malachite and formaldehyde4.26%. It's called Rid-Ich plus from Kordon. The girl was a little surprised a Tetra Glo got Ich but said that is the med she always recommends. I believe she has a Biology degree and is looking for a job but enjoys fish. I check PH about once a week and it's been around 7.4. No temp fluctuations. Ammonia is always 0 when checked and i religiously change the water 30% weekly. I didn't use a heater till the little guy got sick. He will join his friends once he's healthy. Any suggestion on how long to wait once he shows no more signs of Ich?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave is the glo fisg scaled my friend ?
I know that for fis such as clown loaches that are scaleless that you cannot treat them with the chemicals we would normally use hence m hesitation and questioning .
Degree's are all well and good but it doesnt mak for experiance .
Found that offten enough in the Royal Navy with officers being qualified to the hilt but completely lacking in a thing weratings where full ofand thats common sence which is a hing that makes you question things as I did with your post .
By the way Glofish are aman made fih with a bit of genetic implanting from jelly fish , am I correct?
What would be their latin name as non of my tropical library seem to cover them giving you an idea of when we last kept tropical fish ....
Dave

Reaction score
Hey Dave, yes Glofish were artificially made to detect pollutants in the environment. When they breed though that fluroscent gene is passed down. My info comes from glofish.com. that site should fill you in on this species. They are altered tetras and danos, so they do have scales. Albeit tiny ones!!

Thanks always for your help. Hope you and your family are doing well this winter season:). My friends in the pond are doing well. How about yours?

Ask a Question