Gluing Rocks to the liner

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Happy Monday people,
I have a small section under my waterfall that I don't have enough of a ledge to sit rocks. I have read a few things on here for sticking rocks to the liner and it sounds like a split between the foam and the roofing goo. Does anyone have experience with either of these? I know I've read some posts but I swear I'm brain dead today and just can't remember. I've included a picture. I have read about the concern of weight but since it is just a small distance and the rocks will be small I have hope that this will work. I would rather not use the Rock on a Roll, I would really like to use the same rock I've used around the rest of the edging to make it blend.
Thanks for the help.

15.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
How deep is the water below your falls?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used both, the pl (if used on a dry clean, roughed up piece of liner) will hold better. You need to let it dry and cure for it to hold the best. The foam holds but not as well as the pl

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can span the gap with Rock board cut to shape you need
Then stick the rocks to it and put it in place

Reaction score
I just thought of tile that has rocks glued on to it at the home improvement stores? I did glue (PL30 roof goop) rock on a scrap of liner then glued to the top of my fish hide. I thought it would blend in the bottom of my pond better but whenever I look at it I see rocks setting on something. Will work on camoing it more next spring. But then again all my lilies that it got from @countryescapes should hide it for me :)
IMG_1689.JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm ok I'll look at the rock board. If there was a way to not glue it to the liner I would prefer that. And Addy1, I might be able to use some scrap liner, glue the rocks to that and then wedge the liner in under the waterfall so I can let it cure for a few days without shutting down the pond. Guess what I'm working on this weekend...

Reaction score
Also I used Kewanee Flat rocks for my shelves to hid all my liner folds the are super flat like a pancake, glued them to my steep walls also. I didn't want gravel but something to hid the uglies. Plus I love them, talk to your dealer...maybe he can get some off the street for ya!

kewauneeflats.jpg
kewauneeskippers.jpg

Reaction score
Hmmm ok I'll look at the rock board. If there was a way to not glue it to the liner I would prefer that. And Addy1, I might be able to use some scrap liner, glue the rocks to that and then wedge the liner in under the waterfall so I can let it cure for a few days without shutting down the pond. Guess what I'm working on this weekend...
You will be fine to shut it down and work on it for a day especially considering you don't have fish. Better to do it now then once everything is balanced and take the chance to mix it all up again. Or will you shut it down for winter? I have to put some goop under the lip of my falls box as some water is sliding behind it.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ohhh my crack, I mean rock dealer has these. I was going to go back to the rock shop this weekend but, (and don't tell the hubby) forgot it's my anniversary this weekend so it looks like the pond will have to wait a few more weeks. Lisaebetten, these are the rocks you used the great stuff with?? I'm going to try the roofing goo since I couldn't find that great stuff in black. Plus it looks easier to manhandle...
I don't think I'm going to need to do anything to shut my pond down for the winter. We don't get ice or snow so I think I'll be fine leaving everything as is. We do get some frost warnings so I guess I will need to be careful about letting my water hose drip during those times but other than that I don't think I'll do anything else.

Reaction score
Ohhh my crack, I mean rock dealer has these. I was going to go back to the rock shop this weekend but, (and don't tell the hubby) forgot it's my anniversary this weekend so it looks like the pond will have to wait a few more weeks. Lisaebetten, these are the rocks you used the great stuff with?? I'm going to try the roofing goo since I couldn't find that great stuff in black. Plus it looks easier to manhandle...
I don't think I'm going to need to do anything to shut my pond down for the winter. We don't get ice or snow so I think I'll be fine leaving everything as is. We do get some frost warnings so I guess I will need to be careful about letting my water hose drip during those times but other than that I don't think I'll do anything else.
The foam was a mess for the flats I will say but was best for the heavier rocks that needed large voids filled. But now I wish I would have left some voids open as the frogs are always trying to get between the rocks! Oh well, live and learn

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah and I don't have any areas that will need large rocks. I have 2 other steep sided slopes but I'm going to try Sissy's socks first. Even then I would use small stones if I have too. And yeah, live and learn. I'm still considering a small island for the frogs. I don't really have a good entry exit spot for them.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You can buy foam rubber "rocks" that look real, are extremely lightweight and can be glued to practically any surface. They can even be compressed if you need to stuff them into place, or cut to fit. The bonus is if you drop them on your foot, no biggie. If you drop them in the pond, they float. Throw them at your husband's windshield. I've used them, they last.

Look here...................http://fakerock.com/Foam-Rubber-Rocks-MADE-IN-USA/

Reaction score
You can buy foam rubber "rocks" that look real, are extremely lightweight and can be glued to practically any surface. They can even be compressed if you need to stuff them into place, or cut to fit. The bonus is if you drop them on your foot, no biggie. If you drop them in the pond, they float. Throw them at your husband's windshield. I've used them, they last.

Look here...................http://fakerock.com/Foam-Rubber-Rocks-MADE-IN-USA/
Thats cool, never even heard of that one. I learned something new tonight!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Someone once foolishly told me that if you live in a glass house, that you shouldn't throw stones.

Hence, foam rocks. Fire away.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Ask a Question