Go on vacation....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
....for a week, and the pond goes crazy.
It was ok when I left, but come back to pea soup. All my plants died this past winter, and haven't been able to replace them
as no-one will ship them yet. It's about 10k gallons, with 4 goldfish, 1 minnow, and some frogs have taken up residence.
I don't feed the fish much at all. They keep the frogs in check by eating tadpoles.
So, I figured that I couldn't do much damage by cleaning the filter, and header pond (~1000 gal) and adding some fresh bacteria. Finally got my first shipment of plants today, and got them installed.
Now we play the waiting game.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wrong plants for the area. But they did well for what they did.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plants are shipped even in March .I would check to see what plants are good for your area .Water lettuce and hyacinth always die come winter .Things like sedges or grasses are early to come back .They started to grow here in Feb. Even made it through 3 frosts here .I bought ribbon grass and leave it in my pond all winter and cattails are starting to come up .I over winter water hyacinth in my basement
100_8876.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just a striped grass .It can stay out in my climate and the first to grow .I trim the roots and divide it also .It was on the dead plant shelf at lowes for 50 cents years ago
pond 7 -9-15 022.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Haven't had the pond very long at all. Just put it in last year.
I got the plants installed, and the lilies are taking off nicely. I'll be moving them to deeper water in a few days.
Water lettuce is already sprouting new growth, the water hyacinth is off to a slow start, and the grasses are starting to behave themselves. So now we wait. ;)

Oh I live in North GA.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wish I'd built the pond where the spring is, but That would take too much heavy equipment to get down to it.
It's a pretty steep slope down to the spring. 90 feet vertical in about 100 feet horizontal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pond is finally clearing up! :D
I just hope it doesn't get too clear. I'd like to see just a little bit of suspended algae to help keep the plant nutrient levels down.

Ask a Question