Going for a record for most species of snails in shortest amount of time?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
It's barely been more than three months since I filled my little pond and started adding plants. I knew there would be inevitable hitchhikers with buying live plants and wasn't overly worried about it, but on top of the two species of snails I put in the pond myself (nerites and a single mystery snail), there are now at minimum 4 other snail species - pond, bladder, ramshorn and giant ramshorn. I only found out about the snail cornucopia by bringing in some hornwort to my indoor aquarium to try to help a stressed pregnant guppy feel safer and more sheltered, and apparently it was covered in baby snails and eggs. Well, I can honestly say it was maybe the best thing that ever happened to my aquarium because they finally got rid of the lingering BBA problem once and for all! They actually made it too clean and my bamboo shrimp starting looking mighty hungry (they are algae filter feeders) ;) Oh, and at one point there was also a fingernail clam we found in a purchased plant but I don't think it survived, my 5 year old put it into a marginal pot filled with gravel and then got it lost/buried in the gravel, thinking it would not likely be able to unbury itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's barely been more than three months since I filled my little pond and started adding plants. I knew there would be inevitable hitchhikers with buying live plants and wasn't overly worried about it, but on top of the two species of snails I put in the pond myself (nerites and a single mystery snail), there are now at minimum 4 other snail species - pond, bladder, ramshorn and giant ramshorn. I only found out about the snail cornucopia by bringing in some hornwort to my indoor aquarium to try to help a stressed pregnant guppy feel safer and more sheltered, and apparently it was covered in baby snails and eggs. Well, I can honestly say it was maybe the best thing that ever happened to my aquarium because they finally got rid of the lingering BBA problem once and for all! They actually made it too clean and my bamboo shrimp starting looking mighty hungry (they are algae filter feeders) ;) Oh, and at one point there was also a fingernail clam we found in a purchased plant but I don't think it survived, my 5 year old put it into a marginal pot filled with gravel and then got it lost/buried in the gravel, thinking it would not likely be able to unbury itself.
most folks are going for a fish pond but you've stumbled on a new trend, seemingly! Maybe it'll catch on and @Ian will start a Garden Snail Forum next...we can only hope! Though, that might be a misnomer without 'Pond' included...

Congrats on all the snails (I think!) Others like to post pics of their fish; I don't see why you shouldn't post your snail art...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have snails everywhere, don't really pay attention to them. Do like my trap door snails.

Ask a Question