Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Finished the 18' long cinder block wall today it's only three courses, but it has two angled corners and cleaned up around the place, primarily from the winter storms and limbs and branches. But also trying to get this place back together again.

I have to set the skimmer
install the pond lights
plumb the two return jets
cut the jets into the liner
cut the suction drains into the liner
ROCK THE POND

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
ROCK ON
upload_2018-4-9_9-59-15.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a visit from the rock god again today I swear I have no idea how these boulders found there way to my home, I think they want to be immortalized in the project. Oh and a crazy tree stump I had to split it which was not hard as it had been split mainly by a storm. I am so ready to quit my job and do this full time . The creativity that can be applied to this is right up my alley. I need a week off to finish this pond. The last photo is a piece I have hopes for making a sweet waterfall as it has 3 drops within the stone it should make some nice effects. Trying to get some larger boulders for a more natural look the smaller stuff is fillers and retaining wall to the bog i'm hoping.
20180410_172640[18029].jpg

20180410_172646[18027].jpg
20180410_172651[18026].jpg
20180410_172658[18023].jpg
20180410_173141[18022].jpg
20180410_174122[18020].jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That rock god is going to keep you darn busy laying them out. Love all the rocks!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice finds, like the tree stumps. Also like that long narrow rock the pack of Marlboro’s is on.

I end up keeping an eye out on my job sites for gnarly looking pieces of drift wood and stumps to add to my ponds to this day. Depending on what the job entails I can find some weird looking rocks on occasion as well. Once had a rock that was too big for my excavator to pick up probably weighed over 15,000 lbs. could only push it around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Those are some gorgeous rocks you're collecting @GBBUDD ! All of us rock lovers are salivating!

Just to clarify, we used pieces of liner and/or underlayment under big rocks as we placed them. We used whatever pieces we had as slings to carry the big rocks and then just left them there - not like we had much choice as they were under some very heavy rocks! We haven't had any issues with the underlayment pieces. I just don't know what would happen if you lined the whole pond with it... and maybe the answer is "nothing". I don't think it would be slippery like liner, so that might actually be a plus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think I am going to set the rock using an excavator but I am leaning toward using a construction UTV telescoping fork truck. using a sling in particular a endless sling I can reach just about any where on the pond from either side of the pond. if I have a 6000 pound UTV I should be able to set any stone from any angle and using the sling I can place any boulder at even 6 feet below grade. This can also make short work out of setting the Mafia blocks for the raised bog and main water fall. it will also retrieve any stone from amidst the piles of rock without having to get close to it as it has a reach of 40'. and it doesn't walk slowwwwww like an excavator but it cab reach speed of close to 30 so if I have to get a rock from one side of the property it won't take all day..... I'm liking this idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice finds, like the tree stumps. Also like that long narrow rock the pack of Marlboro’s is on.

I end up keeping an eye out on my job sites for gnarly looking pieces of drift wood and stumps to add to my ponds to this day. Depending on what the job entails I can find some weird looking rocks on occasion as well. Once had a rock that was too big for my excavator to pick up probably weighed over 15,000 lbs. could only push it around.
The nice part about that rock JHN is that rock you said you like I have to agree but it's two rocks and they are very close to the same height and width as my shelves in the pond . so though it looks like more work it should be much less and should look way cool with 7 foot long chunks of rock looking like ledge sticking out the side of the pond. My mind is a racing I just hope I can cash in all of these ideas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those are some gorgeous rocks you're collecting @GBBUDD ! All of us rock lovers are salivating!

Just to clarify, we used pieces of liner and/or underlayment under big rocks as we placed them. We used whatever pieces we had as slings to carry the big rocks and then just left them there - not like we had much choice as they were under some very heavy rocks! We haven't had any issues with the underlayment pieces. I just don't know what would happen if you lined the whole pond with it... and maybe the answer is "nothing". I don't think it would be slippery like liner, so that might actually be a plus.
Thanks lisa like I said above I'm dreaming hard. I do have to admit this load was the most I have spent so far 200 bucks for 9500 pounds of boulders. but in all I have only spent 520 dolars on boulders.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The nice part about that rock JHN is that rock you said you like I have to agree but it's two rocks and they are very close to the same height and width as my shelves in the pond . so though it looks like more work it should be much less and should look way cool with 7 foot long chunks of rock looking like ledge sticking out the side of the pond. My mind is a racing I just hope I can cash in all of these ideas.

Sounds like it will look very cool when your done. I am sure you will come up with more ideas as you start to rock the pond. I know I Kind of came up with different ideas for rocks as I went along.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks lisa like I said above I'm dreaming hard. I do have to admit this load was the most I have spent so far 200 bucks for 9500 pounds of boulders. but in all I have only spent 520 dolars on boulders.

Wow, all those boulders for only $520? They would be thousands here! Many thousands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like it will look very cool when your done. I am sure you will come up with more ideas as you start to rock the pond. I know I Kind of came up with different ideas for rocks as I went along.

MORE IDEAS ???? THEN I HAVE NOW I THINK MY MIND WILL BLOW!!!!!! SCARED

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, all those boulders for only $520? They would be thousands here! Many thousands.

As they would be here as well but if you look hard enough and go to the people who supply your local Landscaping companies and you do it before the daffodils bloom CASH AND CARRY GOES A LONG WAY.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know I mentioned it earlier but I am leaning toward using an UTV construction fork truck. and In doing so i'll get to set the bigger rock and the mafia blocks for the bog at the same time . So it looks like phase two is going to merge with phase one. Red arrows show direction of water flow. Where the john deere is represents where the 1500 gallon rain water collection tank will be in phase 3 and behind that is the mafia blocks staging area. what are some of the best filtering bog plants that you like ?
Screenshot_20180412-190715_resized[18057].jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking awesome. I didn't realize how wide around it is. You might want take that extention cord out of the water though.

Ask a Question