Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He had the air pump pulling outside air, had the pump under a cover out beside the pond. So yes pulling darn cold air.
Put a good thermometer on the bottom, watch the water temp as winter comes in. Mine stays right around 34f dead winter, in the 5 foot deep area. It is part of my davis weather station.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have noticed that one genre of koi seem to dine on the string algae more so then the others . The Ogons will come up when I feed the koi but almost immediately after eating pellets they dive right back and munch on the rocks and now that the temps have chilled "pun intended" the koi are getting the upper hand on the algae

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Netting and carbineers arrived Pulled up one side of the copper braided wire and slid the net up as a test . The results are I am very happy with the gauge of the netting and the sewn rope edging. but most of all you can hardly see it against the maple tree in the back ground or even looking at the bog and water fall in broad day light the test is better then I hoped for
Pond Netting -1.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The plan now is to just wrap the pond with the nets and throw a few fishing lines over the top for the osprey.
the net does cut across the stream for now but now that I can see the net is hardly any distraction at all I will probably leave the stream and bogs out of the enclosure. the net is going to be in two pieces so when I am home I can pull the net back to the sides like a swag and curtains . i'm thinking it is going to look pretty cool .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks terrific, so can you walk around the pond now with the net up.
the net will only go to the ground on two sides and when I am home at the pond that side at the patio will be pulled back to each side . like I said above just like a curtain with a swag. the net that's against the hedge will not reach the hedge it will be slightly higher then the hedges so the hedge will not destroy the net and so the net does not destroy the hedge.. I should add I used #21 braided sport netting 1 3/4" black square netting with carabineers and 3/8" solid strand braded copper wire.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@GBBUDD so the Heron or other types of predator birds won't be able to just land on your property and walk right up to your pond anywhere right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD so the Heron or other types of predator birds won't be able to just land on your property and walk right up to your pond anywhere right?
correct. the net I was talking that would be short of getting to the ground would be at he hedges where I can't see a heron working his way through the hedge to get to the pond if they do a couple strands of 100 pound test run through the hedge will stop that easy enough. it is also going to act as my fence for the time being as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
have you taken any plants out of the pond since the weather has gotten colder. Also how are your fish, I noticed mine a slowing down a little this past week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
have you taken any plants out of the pond since the weather has gotten colder. Also how are your fish, I noticed mine a slowing down a little this past week.
Slowing down definitely. At this point I have removed most of the hyacinth. most everything else is still doing well as you can see in the photo the canna and the cardnal are still flowering but I imagine that will come to an end this Friday as we are looking at a high of 40.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! I went with a wider weave, the smaller was trapping the small birds that visited the pond. Yours is higher up then mine, maybe they will be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Temperature dropped into the 30s last night so had to bring plants this week. May have to put a net up, as my dogs will not be out in the cold as much to chase anything not meant to be there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! I went with a wider weave, the smaller was trapping the small birds that visited the pond. Yours is higher up then mine, maybe they will be fine.
the top will be open with the exception of fishing line run across to deter osprey. I went with the 1 3/4 " to help keep the leaves out I have three very large trees in the immediate pond area.

Ask a Question