Going for it! phase one 12,000 gallon pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry for being a little out of order though snow and ice are the last pics this video was no from so long ago. It was the end of the ponds second season and it is coming out as good as I could have ever hoped for.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Awesome looking......still seriously considering tearing out the 4’x8’ bog in my pond and enlarging it to the 10’x20’ area behind my pond this spring/summer especially seeing how your bog looks. Give me a bigger area to add more plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Awesome looking......still seriously considering tearing out the 4’x8’ bog in my pond and enlarging it to the 10’x20’ area behind my pond this spring/summer especially seeing how your bog looks. Give me a bigger area to add more plants.
Mine is around 27x4.5 or so, takes care of my ponds beautifully.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Awesome looking......still seriously considering tearing out the 4’x8’ bog in my 2pond and enlarging it to the 10’x20’ area behind my pond this spring/summer especially seeing how your bog looks. Give me a bigger area to add more plants.
this year I'm going to see if I can get my hands on giant umbrella palm and some elephant ear let thos two plants crank should make for some crystal clear waters

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I planted two elephant ears, they grew great and were taller than me and had a ton of pups!

This is about a month or two after I planted. I can't find the end of season picture, they were over my head.
IMG_0238.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Absolutely beautiful ad so completely natural looking ! Wow @addy1 , those elephant ears are something else!

I can hardly wait till Spring to work on our little bog. My first priority is hiding the liner and "naturalizing" the edges.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mine is around 27x4.5 or so, takes care of my ponds beautifully.
Between my small bog and all the plants in my pond it more than handles the load of critters in my pond, but seeing your large bog and GBBUDD’s large bog got me thinking I could add more plants around the pond if I enlarged the bog as well as keeping plants that grow large quickly. My 4x8 bog was over run this year by the iris and canna I planted in it. For me as well as you guys/gals the plants are a just as big a part if not bigger than the fish in enjoying a pond/water garden.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
this year I'm going to see if I can get my hands on giant umbrella palm and some elephant ear let thos two plants crank should make for some crystal clear waters

Those would be some of the plants I would plant in a larger bog too.....good choice. Love the look of both.

Before I enlarge my bog I need to change the pond I built for my parents 20 some years ago over to a pond less waterfall. They have gotten older and they don’t have the time or wherewithal to care for the current pond which is just over run with plants at this point choking the pump. Planning on doing it for them this summer with some 3-5000 pound boulders set into the hill and around the feature to create falls for the water to run down into a reservoir with aqua blox and centipede. Will be there redoing their waterfront creating a better living shoreline, so will have the heavy equipment there and the stone, so will be easy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For me it's the whole picture recreating a habitat in my back yard, a mini oasis. The moving water over the falls down the streams and circulating in the pond especially at night watching the water dance on the rocks and trees. Watching the fish swim around. the plants and flowers growing the light dancing between the pedals and stems. The birds frogs and dragon flies all hanging out at the ponds edge . How we all don't have a water feature in our back yards compared to a patch of green grass is beyond me. I think i have reached getting old !

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
For me it's the whole picture recreating a habitat in my back yard, a mini oasis. The moving water over the falls down the streams and circulating in the pond especially at night watching the water dance on the rocks and trees. Watching the fish swim around. the plants and flowers growing the light dancing between the pedals and stems. The birds frogs and dragon flies all hanging out at the ponds edge . How we all don't have a water feature in our back yards compared to a patch of green grass is beyond me. I think i have reached getting old !

Yes, you described my feelings on water features more succinctly than I could.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Trust me i am not literary giant by any means but i do have a lot of passion for nature.

Ask a Question