Gold fish fry and their colors -- a transparent Shubunkin?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have some fry of various sizes. No idea who the parents are or even when they spawned..... I have a few comets, fan tails, Shubunkins, Wakin, and Watonai.

Anyway, of the larger ones (I'd say, just at or just under an inch long) there are a few that look bronze-colored, and look like baby gold fish, but there are also some that appear absolutely transparent and are colorless! I know that Shubies tend to "color" sooner than other breeds, and wondering if these little guys are Shubies, but why are they transparent with no hint of color?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
TurtleMommy sometimes its down to somewhat complex genetics as to who the parentage of the transparent goldfish are ?
As you've already said your unsure of who is the parent of these goldfish babies it may well come down to who did what to who, which we wont know unless you experiment but there are so many connatations that it may well be nigh on impossible to replicate what your seeing. :(
What colour are these transparent goldfishes eyes if red then your looking at albino goldfish they may colour slighly as they get older a bit like the Aka Kigio (albino koi ) :cool:
However thinking about things you may well find a clue as to their parentage in the tails that are sporting (y)
Or as you say they may well be young shubunkins again its a waiting game to see if they get shubunkin colourations then you'll have your answer :LOL:

Dave ;)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
there are also some that appear absolutely transparent and are colorless! I know that Shubies tend to "color" sooner than other breeds, and wondering if these little guys are Shubies, but why are they transparent with no hint of color?

My baby Shubunkins didn't start getting color until they were an inch or just over.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
TurtleMommy sometimes its down to somewhat complex genetics as to who the parentage of the transparent goldfish are ?
As you've already said your unsure of who is the parent of these goldfish babies it may well come down to who did what to who, which we wont know unless you experiment but there are so many connatations that it may well be nigh on impossible to replicate what your seeing. :(
What colour are these transparent goldfishes eyes if red then your looking at albino goldfish they may colour slighly as they get older a bit like the Aka Kigio (albino koi ) :cool:
However thinking about things you may well find a clue as to their parentage in the tails that are sporting (y)
Or as you say they may well be young shubunkins again its a waiting game to see if they get shubunkin colourations then you'll have your answer :LOL: Dave

Of the babies I have "rescued" so far, the "normal" looking ones came from one side of the pond, and the "transparent" ones came from the opposite side of the pond. Interesting, but it still doesn't tell me anything about the parents, LOL!

I have one fish from last year's spawn that was more-or-less transparent, but had some salt & pepper spotting. I believe it is officially a Shubie, even though it doesn't LOOK like a traditional Shubie.

As to the eyes, well I haven't been able to get a good enough look, but they are dark, so probably not red. The transparent babies all have very prominent dark eyes, and the bronzy ones have normal-looking eyes [like little dots]. My guess is that with the transparent ones, it's not that the eyes are any different from the other ones, but that because of the transparent skin/scales around the eyes, you can see more of the structure of the eye.

My baby Shubunkins didn't start getting color until they were an inch or just over.

What did they start out looking like? The baby that I have from last year's spawn, it was already an inch or so when I found it. I recognized it as a Shubie, so caught it and kept it indoors through the winter, but as it got bigger it only had the transparent body and salt & pepper spots.

I've tried looking up info/pics of baby Shubies. One thing I did come across was some info regarding the "transparent" coloration [though I think it was talking about ANY goldfish, not necessarily Shubunkins]. This said that it was an undesirable trait, and is usually one of the things that breeders will cull for. But I don't plan to cull any of these guys, as they look physically normal, plus they ARE too young to tell what color they will be. These are pets, so.......

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What did they start out looking like?

If I remember correctly, I found them in June and didn't start seeing color until September.
IMG_5271.jpg

Reaction score
My Shubunkins always were multi-colored right out of the egg, but maybe some changed and I never noticed.

Some Shubunkins are kind of transparent, but have the multi-colors. I've never seen an absolutely transparent and colorless Goldfish. That would be cool. Any pics possible?

The bronze, brown, almost black and olive green types would be Common and Comet. They'll change to orange or white. The orange will then change to red or white when they get older. When they change varies, but most (like 95%) change within say a year in good conditions.

But of course all the mixing gives you all kinds of things. Your transparent fish could become a new type of Goldfish if it became popular.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My Shubunkins always were multi-colored right out of the egg, but maybe some changed and I never noticed.

Some Shubunkins are kind of transparent, but have the multi-colors. I've never seen an absolutely transparent and colorless Goldfish. That would be cool. Any pics possible?

The bronze, brown, almost black and olive green types would be Common and Comet. They'll change to orange or white. The orange will then change to red or white when they get older. When they change varies, but most (like 95%) change within say a year in good conditions.

But of course all the mixing gives you all kinds of things. Your transparent fish could become a new type of Goldfish if it became popular.

They look like the one in JB's pic.

If I remember correctly, I found them in June and didn't start seeing color until September.
View attachment 69875

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You mean like in the picture expect no color? The pic is what they normally look like. I've never seen one without any color.
Well, what I mean is transparent & colorless in that you can see all the internal organs -- like if they were wrapped in plastic wrap....

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You mean like in the picture expect no color? The pic is what they normally look like. I've never seen one without any color.

The shubunkin in my photo has no color on it. The only color is internally.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's what mine look like, too. What did this one end up looking like?

I don't remember which were which but they all looked exactly like that. Sadly only one is still alive but here are a couple of them after about four or five months.

DSCN3333.png

DSCN3984.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They may well in the mix have gone back to their roots :LOL: in that they are a transparent or you could say silver colour
The goldfish are descendants of the Prussian carp, which is a native to the eastern and southeastern part of Asia and part of the Cyprinidae family.
Goldfish began about one thousand years ago in the Song Era when the ancient Chinese started to breed carp.
If I remember this rightly originally, they had scales that were silver in color before they became domesticated.
Like Koi there was a color mutation to yellow-orange scales.
Yellow was the imperial color of the Song and this trait was adopted ,the differing types of which there are many some beautiful some not came later :)

Dave;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question