Gold Fish Population Control

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just built a new pond late last year (approx. 5,000 gallons) to house koi and my wife and son "surprised" me with about 10 feeder gold fish. Now I have about 400 gold fish. We have been trapping them (slow going) and releasing in to a neighbors large natural pond (with his permission) but I am looking for a permanent solution to control this population without disturbing the koi by chasing gold fish all over the pond with a net. Could I throw a bluegill or two in there or something like that or would they damage the koi (currently 6"-8"). Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Wow 400 in a year! Can we see pics how they look, why dont u ask fish dealers if they can buy , thts too much to handle , ihv no experience on this but i ca?n guess ur koi r small if u add a predator they can try to bite koi tail too or whole. ihad small chiclids and silver shark with koi they were attacking there fins

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have been using a minnow trap to catch the baby goldfish so I don't disturb the other fish by chasing them around with a net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been using a minnow trap to catch the baby goldfish so I don't disturb the other fish by chasing them around with a net.

I've been doing the same thing as cas. The beauty of the minnow trap is you only catch the ones that will fit in it (ie young ones.) I use dry nugget type dog food for bait and it seems to work pretty well. I set the trap in the evening, then in the morning pull the trap, dump the ones caught into a five gallon bucket and relocate them. I have waited a couple of days in between sets so the fish don't get "trap-shy".
Good luck!

Ask a Question