Gold fish, They are a very hardy fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I rebuilt the bog last year and I left one area about 8' x 8' and 8 inches deep for plants that like more than their feet wet. Well today while I was working on making a shelf and a water proof tray for the Bakki shower. It is then going to empty into the bog using the snorkel. While doing so I had to tap into the 3" line that feeds the main bog. As I cut off the 2" branch that was for the vacuum breaker, that is now going to feed the shower.

Two things happened that were very surprising.
1. I noticed a gold fish that was swimming around in the 8" of water and a handful of tad poles. Now we have had a mild winter but not so much that I saw frog eggs anywhere. Could these be from last years spawning ? How in the world did the gold fish survive the ice when we had -23 degree weather here in new England.

2. When I tapped into the 3" line to the main bog, within the bog. I added a ball valve and ten feet of hard pipe that is not quite horizontal. Now after the glue had set I opened the ball valve and to my surprise Nothing came out, no water at all the pipe was wide open and just barely out of level . The 3" line going down another 5 feet lower into the bottom of the bog was less head pressure than an open 2 inch pipe? Bizarre......... Apparently there is no pressure within the 3" pipe. 4 to 5000 gph is not enough to build up pressure within a 3 inch pipe? The solution is to add a ball valve to the 3" line. sending more water toward the shower with the 2" pipe. Disconnect the tap to the lower bog. Thus sending that 3000 gph of water to the main bog thus almost doubling the water flow. Re-route the 2" cistern return over to the lower bog and that should take care of the latest's design change. We will see....
20230305_132515.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well ya lost me with the 2 inches and the 3 inches and the gallons and the feet... but I do agree - Goldfish are hardy! We had one last year that swam overboard and was in about 4 inches of water for who knows how long in freezing temps. scooped her up, tossed her back, and it's like it never happened. (I say "her" because she was tough. A boy fish - never would have made it! :ROFLMAO:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well ya lost me with the 2 inches and the 3 inches and the gallons and the feet... but I do agree - Goldfish are hardy! We had one last year that swam overboard and was in about 4 inches of water for who knows how long in freezing temps. scooped her up, tossed her back, and it's like it never happened. (I say "her" because she was tough. A boy fish - never would have made it! :ROFLMAO:)
Sigh ....

Ask a Question