Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my favorite fish in my pond are Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows. I have had them successfully over winter in Northern Virginia, Zone 7. The Gold version vs the wild version are very visible and love to school around the shallow plant shelves. They will form schools of around 20 fish and do laps around the perimeter of the pond. I have them with my goldfish, koi, and others.

I think a lot of them get picked off by the frogs, turtles, other fish, but they have successfully spawned in the pond as well. They are egg scatterers.

Attachments

• 1655946583904.png
    1655946583904.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Cool! Are they good at eating mosquito larvae? Where did you get yours?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nice, was thinking about doing this in my pond, but it is a pita to find a couple hundred of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Pet Supermarket ordered my rosy red minnows for me. I think they were $12 for 50!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tim, how deep is your pond? Just wondering if they would survive the winter here in zone 5 at 3' deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've done similar but I have the new green and orange danios. The glow in the dark as they call them.
I agree the little guys coming out from around the corner in a school is very cool especialy as they dart around.

You can even see them at night with the lights. Unfortunately I doubt they will over winter very well. Except in the cistern it seems a few have made it down there. I may not have to buy any next year.
There life span is only two to three years. They are definately loving the pond. And considering the average pathetic 10 to 55 gallon fish tanks out there they will have a pretty good 8 months before they fall asleep in the cold.
Don't know if I want them to survive the winter in the pond the numbers could get out of control very quickly a blue gill would be needed and I'd rather not fight that balance as the koi babies would also become lunch. A couple of my favorite fish are offspring of the pond the smaller all orange in the first pic is my favorite
"a bit biased " the silver and black and the orange and white all babies that are going to be allowed to stay in the pond
20220625_081640.jpg
20220625_081720.jpg
20220625_081846.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have had Black Striped Topminnows in my pond before and now I have golden topminnows in my pond, just a few with my goldfish.

I would avoid the average petstore for their rosy minnows as they are feeder fish and are likely diseased.

Ask a Question