Golden Orf Problem

Reaction score
Been at work all day. I came back to find one of my golden auf beside the pond on my lawn. He wasn't really moving or breathing until I picked him up, then there were some signs of life from him, so I returned him to the pond (there was no visual signs of damage to him,, presumed he jumped out). He was swimming around for a bit albeit on his side, now he is lying on the bottom. The gills are still moving and he appears to be breathing. This is one of our older fish who survived from our old pond. He is approx 5 years old, and is just under 4 inches and is usually one of our more active fish. Not to mention he is a greedy so and so.

Its been 4 hours since I returned him to the pond. And he is still there on the bottom, gills and mouth moving still. I think if he did jump out he may of injured himself.
I'm going to wait until the morning now to see if he makes it. But then there's the other side of me telling me to put it out of its misery if he is suffering. If I decided to kill him, what would be considered a humane method? My mind is split on this. Don;t want him suffering all night :(
Advice would be welcome.
I did not even know fish can jump until I read some online articles. Think i'll put my net back on tomorrow

Reaction score
I'm thinking of quitting this thing. giving the rest of my fish away and infilling the pond. I just don't seem to be successful at this at all.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm thinking of quitting this thing. giving the rest of my fish away and infilling the pond. I just don't seem to be successful at this at all.

aww don't give up, we all have had failures, mistakes, dead fish off and on. We learn from what was done wrong. I wiped out a bunch of goldfish when I first put some in this pond. Did not realize our well water was acidic, poor fish died. I thought, with the new filled pond that sat for 2 months with water in it would be fine..........wrong, spent the next 6 months (over winter) learning how to adjust the ph and keep it up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am so sorry you are having a rough time. Just give a little longer. Once you really get the hang of this pond stuff, it is so rewarding. This I'm telling you as a not expert person with very inexpensive equipment and fish. It does take a little of my time and a lot of creative thinking, but in the end it is so worth it.

Ask a Question