Golden Orfes

Reaction score
Hey all,

Unfortunately, I lost two fish this past winter, so I wanted to replace them. I bought two 6 inch Comets and also went with two Golden Orfes. Out of nowhere, the two Comets died, but the Golden Orfes are doing well. I really should have done some homework before I got them, but they are very cool fish. I love how they dart and dash around the pond. And they get along with my other fish too. I think I might go and get a few more.

Does anyone have these fish? What are your thoughts?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
had them one time, They look best in a school, Nice fish, but I don't think they are usually very long lived. I was able to keep my original ones about two years and never really seen anyone keep them for a very long time.

Reaction score
I bought 4 golden orfe for my pond before I put in the mature koi I inherited to test the water quality, that was 9 years ago and I've never had a bit of bother with them.

Reaction score
Orfes are cool fish but like stroppy said they are real sensitive to medication. I had 3 in my pond a couple of years ago and used fluke medication. Within minutes the orfes were bent in half and suffering.......so becareful

Reaction score
mrteach3 said:
Hey all,

Unfortunately, I lost two fish this past winter, so I wanted to replace them. I bought two 6 inch Comets and also went with two Golden Orfes. Out of nowhere, the two Comets died, but the Golden Orfes are doing well. I really should have done some homework before I got them, but they are very cool fish. I love how they dart and dash around the pond. And they get along with my other fish too. I think I might go and get a few more.

Does anyone have these fish? What are your thoughts?

i had a pair of them for 4 years, they were brilliant fish. sadly they are predatory, and will eat baby fish. bad news if you plan to breed. they love a bit of bread too though!

Reaction score
Well...I couldn't help myself. I went and got four more Golden Orfes today. These are a little smaller than the first two I got, but they are doing well together. My son also wanted a couple of Sunbursts so we picked those up too. All koi, Golden Orfes, and Sunbursts are getting along well. Just and update.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's always fun to get new fishies. Post some pics of them so we can see :surfing:

Reaction score
I just saw orfes in a showcase pond at one of the stores I frequent and thought they looked great schooling near the surface. Does anyone know if orfe's are big polluters like koi? Is there a rule for Orfes like there are for koi as to how many inches of fish per gallon in a pond?

I don't want to overstock my pond, but I did lose a koi last year when I was vacuuming the pond for the first time and wasn't careful and injured it. I was hoping to get another shubunkin or a wakin until I saw these orfes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Orfes have higher oxygen requirements than koi, which can catch them out in adverse conditions.

Tough, cold tolerant...

They can become very large and powerfull fast swimmers, they will gobble up surplus baby fish

Just one in a pond with other fish mutts will cut down on the bebby making...

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We have one he thinks hes a koi lol, you are aware thuogh that they dont do well with any form of chemicalin the water to treat other fish with and it may unfortuately die if it hasn't been caught and moved toa pond that you arent treating

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
The more I read about them the more I think I'm better off with goldfish. They seem to grow big fast and need a a large pond like kois do. Thank you for the information!

Ask a Question